Question: Sulphur tablets

vladimere

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
vladimere
Just a quick question after receiving two bad lots of plants from a pet shop and after a complete water change we still have off smelling water in our tanks.We were wandering ,What effect would sulfur tablets (to fix the water up) have on the axolotls in the tank(already fighting a fungus on there fonds n treating with salt baths ect and have removed the offending plants)

I dont know about sulphur, never heard of anyone using it in an axie tank (maybe because it isnt a good idea? i dunno), have you tried some activated carbon or charcoal filter media it gets rid of smells and clears up hazy water nicely (needs replacing regularly tho as the charged particles wear out!) Its should do the job and is perfectly safe!

I was thinking along those lines ed but how would i do it with a canister filter. Open it up n drop it in the bottom with my bio balls ? And thanks for the quick response mate

Just a quick question after receiving two bad lots of plants from a pet shop and after a complete water change we still have off smelling water in our tanks.We were wandering ,What effect would sulfur tablets (to fix the water up) have on the axolotls in the tank(already fighting a fungus on there fonds n treating with salt baths ect and have removed the offending plants)

It sounds like there are a lot of things going wrong with your axolotls and their enclosure at the moment and it's time to figure out what the problems are and fix them.

Have you removed all the decaying/dead plant material? This could be the cause of the odor. Have you siphon-vacuumed the sand or substrate to remove any mulm from the bottom of the tank? What substrate are you using? How deep is it?

Also, complete water changes should be avoided as it quickly changes the axolotl's water chemistry which can be quite stressful. 20-30% water changes are best and if you are trying to remove a smell just do them more often (every day or every other day.) Your axolotls are already stressed (as shown by fungus on their gills) so everything should be avoided to further stress them.

As to the sulfur pills, I would avoid them. I'm not sure what the chemical composition of them is but of the many things I could think of them being, none of them would be helpful.

Hi all the plants are gone,Only things left in their tank atm is two hides,a piece of slate their tank is 500 liters with only 100liters in it.Running a aqua one 500 (forgot to say it is a modified spa bath). No substrate at all that was taken out when we first noticed the smell.We have been doing water changes just bout every day now, it does seem to be getting better but very very slowly. Thanks for the advice and help guys, taken some of their water to be tested again.

To add carbon media to a canister filter, you need either (1) a "media bag" which you can purchase at online pet shops or a good aquarium shop, or (2) an old nylon stocking (ask a female friend/relative if they can give you one). With the stocking, just tie it off at one end, put in the carbon, then tie off the other end.

Cool thanks jennewt,Gota sneak one of the mrs now and hope she doesn't notice. lol

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back