Illness/Sickness: Swollen C.pyrrhogaster larvae

evut

Reaction score
Country
Czech_Republic
Display Name
Eva
4 of my Cynops pyrrhogaster larvae became very swollen overnight. They all come from the same tub (separated them from the other 4 now which still look normal). All other tubs are ok.
I change half their water daily and put them into clean tub every other or third day. Food is mainly artemia.

What is wrong with these larvae please? I can't think of anything that would be different in their tub, I clean and feed all of them at the same time and the same way. They are bloated mainly around the chest area.
Thanks for helping me.

Attachments

• P1220391x.jpg
    P1220391x.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 198
  • P1220392x.jpg
    P1220392x.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
I was very pleased to see that there are no more bloated larvae this morning and the ones that were puffy yesterday look a lot better today. Two are back to normal, one is just slightly swollen and only one is really big but better than yesterday.

I would still like to know what could possibly have caused this. Any ideas?

I´m glad they are ok, Eva.
I honestly don´t know what to tell you...it looks like "classic" larva bloat, but the causes are unclear. One thing i know is that it only happened to me in the past when i tried raising larvae in shallow, small containers with daily water changes. Since i changed to more stable rearing conditions i haven´t had such a case.

Today all the larvae are looking normal. I am extremely happy as these are some of my more advanced ones and seemed to be doing really well until now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back