Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Moving axies to basement.

porkchop48

Reaction score
My axies are currently upstairs. I was thinking of moving them to the basement.

I have a non glass that was given to me. It is only about 24 inches tall, 3 ft wide and 7 ft long ( these are all approximate. i can get actual when I get home later). It is about 316 gallons approximately.

It is an open top with braces so adding filters will no be a problem. Has a built in drain on the bottom.

Now here comes my problem. In the winter the basment gets a bit chilly about 60-65ish. Would they be ok?

Erzs

Reaction score
Quoting from axolotl.org he says: "The water should be kept between 14 and 20 °C (that's 57-68 °Fahrenheit)."

So I think you should be fine.

Is it possible to monitor the temp in the basement for awhile before putting them in? Just to see if there is any drastic temperature drops throughout the day/night maybe.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
A tank of those dimensions would be about 316 gallons. I wouldn't worry about them being to cold till they get below 50F. They will be o.k. for awhile down to the mid 30's F. but will not eat or grow much. Have fun with that huge tank.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
...and prepare for some serious breeding! Those temps and that volume of water is axolotl heaven. Speaking from experience, allow extra time to cycle a tank that size. Also make sire it is properly supported. That's well over a quarter ton of water!

porkchop48

Reaction score
316 gallons, You sure? o_O *confused*

Pretty sure it is. Or close to it anyways.

Ok I will work on setting up the tank this weekend. So far there will be 4 axies in the tank, would I be safe to add a couple more?

The rack it is on is an "industrial " rack so each shelf holds up to 1000 lbs a shelf so I will set it up for a few weeks to see how it hold. It is on concrete so I dont have to worry about the floor sinking. What I may do is some more braceing underneath the shelf as well just for my own peace of mind.

That will give me time to check out the temps as well.

Thanks for the advice guys. and hopefully I will get some pics soon.

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Six axolotls will be fine in that size tank. Just remember that any new additions must be quarantined for at least 30 days before being introduced to the other axolotls, though.

and hopefully I will get some pics soon.

Yes, photos please. A promise is a promise after all, and we will hold you to it! ;).

Last edited:

michael

Reaction score

The rack it is on is an "industrial " rack so each shelf holds up to 1000 lbs a shelf so I will set it up for a few weeks to see how it hold. It is on concrete so I dont have to worry about the floor sinking.

A 316 gallon tank would way more than 2500 lb full of water. This does not account for the actual weight of the aquarium. You will be putting 2.5 times the weight the rack is rated for on it. That sounds like a recipe for disaster. I would make a shelf out of 2 X 6's and cinder blocks or sit the tank on the floor. I love to cram them in and would put at least 20 axolotls in a tank that big. I'd think about a minireef filter.

porkchop48

Reaction score

The rack it is on is an "industrial " rack so each shelf holds up to 1000 lbs a shelf so I will set it up for a few weeks to see how it hold. It is on concrete so I dont have to worry about the floor sinking.

A 316 gallon tank would way more than 2500 lb full of water. This does not account for the actual weight of the aquarium. You will be putting 2.5 times the weight the rack is rated for on it. That sounds like a recipe for disaster. I would make a shelf out of 2 X 6's and cinder blocks or sit the tank on the floor. I love to cram them in and would put at least 20 axolotls in a tank that big. I'd think about a minireef filter.

hey Michael,

I dont think I am going to fill the tank up all the way right away regardless. This weekend we are going to work on building something under the rack to stabalize it a bit more. ( wood and blocks just like you said :D ) I do also have the option of moving the rack and putting the tank on the floor in the basement. I am the only one that hangs out down there so I am not worried about it looking tooo pretty.

I got 3 days this weekend to figure out what I am going to do. Hopefully I will be able to figure something out.

20 of them.... really? I have plenty of filters left over from my "reefing" days. I am going to see which ones still work and change out all the media after a good cleaning. Part of what I like about this tank is the built in drain so water changes are going to be a breeze :)

michael

Reaction score
I have plenty of filters left over from my "reefing" days. I am going to see which ones still work and change out all the media after a good cleaning. Part of what I like about this tank is the built in drain so water changes are going to be a breeze :)

If bioballs or similar media is a little salty from salt water days don't worry. Just give them a good rinse and use. I normally add about 1 tablespoon of salt to 10 gallons of water for my axies.

porkchop48

Reaction score
If bioballs or similar media is a little salty from salt water days don't worry. Just give them a good rinse and use. I normally add about 1 tablespoon of salt to 10 gallons of water for my axies.

Salt really... I never would have even thought that.

I know most FW tanks use some salt but I never would have guess axies. I will still make sure I rinse well, I just wont go out of my water to get every nook and cranny with a tooth brush :D

Thank you.

sek

Reaction score
I think that is the biggest axie tank I have ever heard of. I look forward to photos!

porkchop48

Reaction score
I am still slowly working on this.

Do axies have to have plants in their tank? The tank I am using now has duckweed, riccia, java moss. My concern with moving them down stairs into the bigger tank is the lack of light. It will not get much light down there except for when I am down there...

Do you think this will be a problem?

dazkeirle

Reaction score
Not at all, they'll nocturnal and don't have Eyelids.

You must be like some kind of Axie god, you've got pretty much the perfect conditions for an Axie.

You just need to make sure they get the most important thing, TLC, they like a bit of human interaction and if they're down there all the time may get bored.

So we're talking 1.5 thousand litres here? Jesus Christ.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The only rack I've ever fully trusted with the weight of a full tank are gorilla racks, and I would NOT trust any stand with 2500+ pounds of water. All the other 'industrial' tanks seem pretty flimsy to me, even if they say they support 1000 pounds. If you read the fine print, that says it will support that only if it's evenly distributed across the surface, blah blah blah.

If you do put it on the floor, I would take a piece of dense foam and put under it to distribute the weight better, and eliminate 'high spots' which will put stress on small areas of the tank.

porkchop48

Reaction score
I do have some of my frogs down there and it is where laundry is done, the second kitchen is down there ( in another room of course) and it is where all the butchering and canning is done ( again not in the room the axies will be in).

I have seriously considered the tank being on the floor or a short solid stand built so it will be level. It is still a work in progress because once I get it up and running I do not want to have to move it at all.

bayhicoach

Reaction score
What is the tank made of? I'd be concerned about adding salt to a tank that is made of galvanized aluminum or any other metal.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1