Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Very lumpy axie still please help

zoezakella

Reaction score
I posted quite a while back about Finley my golden albino axie being lumpy and lumps moving around. He had been on gravel but this was weeks ago and since they were moved into a new tank (3ft x 20" x 15" with sand and plants & 3 hiding places) a lot of gravel was poooed out (not sure which axie if not all) and he seemed to be fine. He is eating normally but not moving around as much as he used to and also when he swims to the top for air he nosedives to the bottom with quite a thud and seems clumsier than normal :(

I had a few comments before about pellets and he still has those every other day and his last lot was over 24 hours ago so would this still be causing him to be lumpy??

My other 2 axies are fine both slimline and also eating well, they seem to also be the more dominant of the 2 when it comes to eating as they are always first but I do feed them seperately aswell to make sure they all get food and Finley is eating every day. Finley is not picked on so thats also not a problem. Finley is nearly 5 inches.

So does anyone have any idea what these lumps are and what i should do please should I be as worried as I am and take him to a vet or do axies get lumpy???

Any help yet again from you lovely people would be greatly appreciated!!

zoezakella

Reaction score
sorry here are some piccies

zoezakella-albums-my-new-axolotls-picture11930-axies-towersey-123.jpg
zoezakella-albums-my-new-axolotls-picture11929-axies-towersey-122.jpg

Erzs

Reaction score
I think I read on another users post that an axolotl was still passing gravel quite a few weeks later so it could just be this, especially as you're unsure to which axolotl it is that passed the last lot!

I've seen fridging axolotls suggested quite a lot to help with digestion issues and if things such as gravel need to be pooped out! But I'm no axolotl expert so I would definitely wait for a more experienced user to reply.

If you feel something really isn't right please don't hesitate to take your axolotl to an experienced vet. =]

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I think it may be worth putting Finley in the fridge, or somewhere cooler. He does not necessarily need go in the fridge, just somewhere cooler than he is now. If he is by himself you'll get a better idea if he is in deed passing anything. This article will help.

Axolotl Sanctuary

zoezakella

Reaction score
Hi Julia, thanks for helping me on this one, was afraid that was what may need to be done, just hope it helps him. I think it will have to be the fridge then as I cannot think of anywhere cooler to put him other than the fridge :( thanks for your help I really appreciate it x

Crysta

Reaction score
If you can bring your tank temp down more that should be cold enough, say 10-12Cish it's not fridge cold.

has Finley been passing food normally? if not it could be blockage, if so it could still be blockage just not as serious.

Anyway a colder temp will help if it is, and there's nothing wrong with lower temps in tank in general =]
But as Julia says it will be easier to assess if he's on his own, do you have a quarantine tank? You can use the water from your tank and some substrate ect.

zoezakella

Reaction score
Thanks guys for your comments, have braved it and put Finley in the fridge last night which I was very stressed about but am happy he is ok in there now! He is eating in the fridge and has had a few worms so thats all good, so far no poos though :confused:

He's still is a bit lumpy but not as bad as the other day so just going to keep an eye on him, hate having him in thr fridge hope he's not missing his mates :(

daniellog

Reaction score
He's probably eaten that gravel, hopefully if its small enough (which it looks like it is) he will pass it through his system.

zoezakella

Reaction score
Daniellog - its sand he's on not gravel but he had been on gravel over a month ago.

Progress - he is eating at least 2 worms a day and has done a poo tonight, again have felt his sides and there is nothing hard in there so the next question is, would he be pooing if he was impacted also would i feel the gravel and how long should I keep him in the fridge for he is on his 3rd night now??

Thanks guys & girls :D

zoezakella

Reaction score
Evening Julia, thanks been waiting to see if you would pop up :D No gravel just poo, oh what to do with Finley?? Will post a piccy for you to see as he is now. Hope to get him back in his tank soon Zak keeps asking where he is :( Oh and poo is definately a boy thing Zak is also obsessed!!!! Will await your instructions and once again thanks so much for your help I am very appreciative! x

zoezakella-albums-new-tank-set-up-picture12056-030910-029-begin_of_the_skype_highlighting-030910-029-end_of_the_skype_highlighting.jpg

Last edited:

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
In the last picture he looks good. I would be tempted to leave him a few days more though just to see what he eats etc. Fin may be teasing us with his flabby bits :cool:

zoezakella

Reaction score
Thanks guys :D

Update - well he is still eating 2 worms a day and has done yet another poo (for Julia's son - no gravel) :happy: He still is a bit lumpy which is strange as I say there are no hard bits in him to feel, is it possible to have a bumpy lumpy axie ;)

Mel - no its not kinked over have been watching out for this his tail it has been curling around but seems to be whilst he is going round his tub (its large and round) and also when I take the lid off sometimes.

Will leave him for a few days would like to fatten him up a bit as Mojo & Jabba are looking so good at the moment, gills are growing and they are constantly prowling there tank for worms so hoping Finley is welcomed back in with no problems.

Thanks for all your support x

Crysta

Reaction score
one of my axolotls is usualy fatter on the lower left side of hid body (quite rounded fatter bit like a lump) but only when he's "full"

I think it is quite possible.

perhaps like "pear shapes" ect in people.

zoezakella

Reaction score
Thanks Cloudy that made me laugh and uyes I think your right we are all different shapes and Finley is just bumpy :happy:

zoezakella

Reaction score
Ok here are some piccies from this morning can I take him out of the fridge now do you think??? He had been eating 2 worms a day for 3 days but has not eaten yesterday and he has had a worm in his tub this am which he hasn't eaten so far?? Just worried that if he is out too long is going to be hard reintroducing him to Jabba & Mojo, help please guys as always :happy:

zoezakella-albums-new-tank-set-up-picture12084-050910-020-begin_of_the_skype_highlighting-050910-020-end_of_the_skype_highlighting.jpg
zoezakella-albums-new-tank-set-up-picture12082-050910-018-begin_of_the_skype_highlighting-050910-018-end_of_the_skype_highlighting.jpg

melfly

Reaction score
I think he's looking fine
The reduced appetite will be because he's in the fridge.

If I were you i'd probably put him back in the big tank.

It could just be his shape. I had a white albino that seemed to fill out a lot more on one side when it was full. I have no idea if this is some internal craziness but he seemed to grow ok.

Mel

zoezakella

Reaction score
Thanks Mel, as you can see he is still lumpy that side but surely if he is pooing and eating he cant be impacted would that be right???

Such a worry these axies :)

Can I ask how often shoud I feed these guys now, they are 5 inches and get a mix of bloodworms and earthworms which I try and alternate, is 2 worms enough each and how often should I do that??

Thanks again xxx

melfly

Reaction score
At 5 inches you can still feed them daily.
As long as there heads are the same width as their bellies.

If they look a little slender up the amount, if they are looking a bit too chunky lower it a bit.

Mel
xx

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1