Question: How to go about cleaning axie tank

hilgrav

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Hilary
I working on getting my new axie tank all set up and cycled while i wait for the little guys at the local pet store to mature a bit. Everything so far that I have read on the forums makes sense except for some reason I couldnt find one answer to a question I have.

When using fine sand as a substrate, what is the easiest way to clean the debris off of the bottom? I have a simple sponge filter, but with the couple fish and live plants I have in there at the moment, there is some waste/debris on the sand. Any tips?

I've heard axies are somewhat messy so I expect waste from them to be lying on the bottom as well.

I appreciate your input!:eek:

i use a turkey baster for daily cleaning and then a siophon with the water changes (weekly/fortnightly)
have fun with your new friend when he/she comes

Awesome, thanks :)

I did find other forum topics too after I submitted this, haha.

Can't wait! I'll have two of them!

With a little tiny dustpan and shovel!

Turkey baster and the gravel vacuum (siphon) will be all you need.

I dont think axies are messie at all, compared to goldfish they are neat freaks! A poop once aweek or so in a neat little easy to see parcel, clean up as you feed, little bit of a look around and move the tank furniture once a week or so and you will be fine.

They will tear up the tank plants and stir up the substrate when active at night.but otherwise too easy

I go to the hospital often, and know all the nurses, so asked for one of those large syringes without needles, so I can use that to suck it up :) Cool aye?

I bought some needleless syringes on eBay. good stuff. works just like a turkey baster really.

Hi

If you are planning to feed your axies pellets they can be quite messy and tricky to remove sometimes when they go soft

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back