Hi From Western Australia

MereB

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Meredyth
Hey I'm Meredyth, I have 3 Boys (6 1/2, 5 and 2 1/2) the older 2 got an axolotl each about a month ago and since then I've learned SO much about them. We didn't know it when we bought them but we have a male Wild "Dillon" and a female albino "Chrysta" (white eyes, yellow skin with the luminescent spots, not sure of it's genetics exactly) and on August 25th they became parents to "Fish" (the 2yo named it) our baby Axie who at the moment has the black eyes, luminescence and may be pale yellow or could be white depends on the light he's in. He is LOVING the BBS we've been growing. He is the only egg that actually hatched of the 100ish that were laid. We had about 10 that started to develop and 5 that made it to within a few days of hatching. The day after "Fish" hatched the other 4 eggs went green and all died, after breaking them out of their eggs they all looked deformed with small heads huge abdomens and almost no tail or gills.
From what we can figure the parents are not quite mature enough for breeding and had I known they were male and female I wouldn't have put then in the same tank :rolleyes: so I'm hoping the low birth rate is because she was not quite mature so had immature eggs.

Hubby has been keeping fish for about 30 years, his skills with hatching brine shrimp have suddenly come in very handy, and I've always wanted axolotls so here we are :happy:

That's about it, mostly just looking for ppl who can answer questions about raising little "Fish" as they come up :happy:

hi and welcome...Everything you need to know about axies is on this site and if you cant find just ask and someone will be there to help.
I have 5 kids (2 girls and 3 boys) there ages are 17, 10, 8. 6 and 17 months
I would love to see some photos for you axies they sound very cute
lea

Last edited:
Thank you Mark That has been my "Bible" over the past couple of weeks :D

Lea I'd have to take some pics of the parents but I took this one of Fish last night and to my surprise he is covered in dark spots :eek: they are too small to be seen with the naked eye but the super Macro on the good camera picked them up without a problem
He's kinda cute really.
Fish

Attachments

• DSCF6821.JPG
    DSCF6821.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 143
he is really cute.....keep the photos coming
lea

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back