Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

FYI: Name and shame dodgy aquariums!

blackdog

Reaction score
I just left an aquarium fuming mad!

I understand these businesses have a right to make money, and that animals kept for an interim period might not have as fancy set ups as we might give them - but surely these so called "experts" should give their stock a half decent environment!

They had two axie tanks -

1 had 5 axies - bright lights, no shelter, no hides, a few floating weeds. Juveniles <6 mths i'd guess. totally wrong substrate, normal aquarium gravel 4-6 mm dia i'd say, more than easily fit in and block an axie.

One Wild type was floating, gulping, unbalanced, and clearly distressed in this tank

the others looked ok, if a little underweight.

None of them had any gills to speak of, but having not seen my own axies that young, maybe the hadn't developed much yet?

The other tank had a single albino, floating, totally inanimate as far as i could see, and looked like a distended belly (or at least not quite right) - gills were non existent - i stared, and i stared, and i stared - i didn ot see one single movment from the little guy, not a tweak of the gills, or a gulp - i'm sure he was dead if not nearly there.

posture was very "bent"

i had to say something, i told the lady at the counter - I'm pretty sure one is dead, and one is in distress and floating.

i was told "The one on its own is only there bcause the others attacked it, it's fine" (it clearly was not fine by any definition of the word)

"It's totally normal for them to float *POKING THE POOR BUGGER IN THE HEAD* , see he is fine" as the poor thing bolts to and fro across the tank from the rude poking it just got!!!

Taking a deep breath i said "Look, it's not normal for them to float like that, especially if they are gulping and disorientated, they don't like to float and it can be a sign of distress and impaction"

"You need to get rid of that gravel, it is not a suitable substrate for an axolotl, and give them hides or turn the light off"

Her reply "I've been doing this for 26 years, they're fine"

"I see, so 26 years means you can't learn anything more?"

I have made an online report to the RSPCA already.

Can we name and shame them on the forum moderators? I might not be able to "rescue" the poor buggers by buying them, but i sure as hell dont have to encourage anyone to spend any money there!

Bren

sek

Reaction score
They're just like pet shops. It's appauling, all axies/fish/other animals are to them are dollar signs.

blackdog

Reaction score
You know, the fish look fine in the store, and they probably are experts with the fish, but with the axies.......they are clearly NOT experts in them, and treat them the same as the fish.

Just made me angry.

10 years ago, i would have made a bigger scene :) , i'm a little more zen these days.

I've made a complaint to the rspca, and i will follow up in some way. I've seen some axies in pet shops that were not "ideal" but the two guys i saw today were clearly sick and in distress

I bought my guys from a hobbyist who happened to have her pair breed (member of this forum, hi Kamilla) , i guess i didn't really realise how lucky i was to find someone who really cared for the welfare of the axies rather than just the dollars

My boys were huge, happy and healthy when i got them - easy to keep them healthy from a good starting point

Erzs

Reaction score
It's one thing to be keeping them in such a careless condition it's another to not accept advice from someone who is concerned.

You did the right thing by first talking to the lady about them and then contacting the RSPCA. I know Crysta only recently did something very similar. Keep us updated please. =]

Crysta

Reaction score
Yup. things like that have to be reported, If you can't talk to the staff properly then the RSPCA are there do deal with inappropriate conditions and negligence, ect.
that horrible woman :/ I would have made a hell of a scene, well not really =] but I would have given her a good talking to O_O

"Pet shops know nothing", it's something we as customers have to go into them thinking.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The sad thing is that people go to pet shops every day asking questions and taking the answers as gospel truth. Oh well.

We don't have any rules against mentioning the names of shops on the forum. You can also post a negative report in the Testimonials section of the forum if you like. Just keep it factual.

Danni

Reaction score
Hi

I saw an axolotl at Hollywood fish farm, and although he wasnt for sale, he was in excellent condition with heaps of space and stuff, and their other fish seemed to be kept well also :) Some pet/fish shops aren't so bad :) Just to lighten this forum!

Crysta

Reaction score
Some are astounding.
most however... are... 'different'

I don't bring my custom back to those shops, but unfortunately people who have only learned what they know from said shops, are keeping some sort of animal in bad conditions, and still feeding the ignorance with money.

SAD FACE.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!