Question: Axie rescue

sek

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Display Name
Neo
I've spotted some juvies at the local pet shop which is in an appauling condition. They are on gravel and their water is absolutely disgusting, they let food spoil and don't feed the axies properly. There are 3 axies in a 27 litre tank and one leucistic is MUCH larger than the other two juvinile wilds.

I'd really like to rescue one, but I've only got a 57 litre tank with axies that are bigger. I am saving for a large 230 litre tank for them. Could I temporarily house him in a large plastic container?

If you don't already have the equipment for them, don't do it. You are just encouraging that shop to order more, dooming them too.

It sounds horrible, but I speak from experience, we can't save them all.

Your best option is to inform the pet shop on what they are doing wrong in hopes they will correct it before it is too late for them or any future axolotls they may get in.

Thanks guys. I will inform the pet shop.

In case the pet shop doesn't listen to you - which they most likely won't - it might be worth calling some kind of animal authority. Seems this kind of thing is appearing a lot lately...

Great News:

The pet shop has listened to all of my advice and are changing the gravel to sand as I speak. They are also making other changes concerning fish as well.

Very happy right now.

yay =D
You only really need to call RSPCA ect, when you get alot of attitude and no ears (which is usually the case) or you can't actually talk to the manager/owner at all.

Well done Sek :happy:

Agreed! Well done! =] Really happy to see some good news from a pet shop! =]

Something I really need to do: talk to my local pet store people about the poor axies. :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back