Illness/Sickness: Wish me luck!

relle

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi there everyone,

Im in melbourne australia and i'm the proud owner of 4 lovely axies. Theres Sunny who is of course albino, Layla who is leucistic, Olive and Boris who are both wild type. Ive had Sunny, Boris and Olive for around 6 months now purchased from a pet shop where they looked very miserable cramped in a 2 foot tank. Theyre now very happy in a 4 foot (200 litre) tank with lots of hides and plants to adventure around.

Problem is i noticed Boris has a couple of small white fluff (fungus?) patches on his gills and one on his toe so after much self education through this fantastic site i have started today with a salt bath and hes now sitting in the fridge in his dechlorinated water.

Now to me its still hard to get my head around what im doing and i have one little question.....does the container he's sitting in need air holes?...i did read about having a lid on the container so no fragrances etc get into the water...but will he get enough oxygen? Probably a stupid question to some but im new to axie nursing so ive got to ask these things.

So anyway thanks and wish me luck! :p

hi relle
I would put a lid on just is case he decided to get out, you dont want him roaming the fridge:D. I put holes in the top so air can get it. Also put fresh water on the same shelf near your axie so you can use this for water changes, this way the water is the same temp.
good luck, I hope it all works out for you.
lea

Thanks for the reply......they got through night number 1 with no stress so im happy now....good tip about keeping the water change in the fridge aswell i didnt think of that :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back