Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Egg-eating snakes

fishkeeper

Reaction score
Always wanted to get into snakes, these are my first.

Been keeping these for a few months and they have been a lot of fun so far. Female laid 5 eggs(my first)...I messed up the humidity but still managed to hatch 2. I will probably try substrateless incubation and tweaking my methods-both breeders I talked to reported 100% success with their eggs so we'll wait for next time.

They are actually quite easy captives. My female is readily takes market sized quail eggs and is nearly big enough to take chicken eggs.

Got one video of her eating up onto youtube. She pretty much eats out of my hand now...so I bet correctly that she would eat if I placed her on the table with an egg. Quite a difference compared to how shy she used to be!
YouTube - Picture 122

Last edited:

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I´ve always been fascinated by these snakes. Dasypeltis, right?
There´s something about the head of these snakes that is just beautiful (i think i have a problem...i like snakes for the shape of their heads o_O -happens with newts too :S-), and the eating behaviour is well...it´s just cool xD How they puncture the shell, squeeze the contents down and regurgitate the rest....it´s just clever!

Best of lucks next time, i sure would love to see pictures of the two neonates, though.

fishkeeper

Reaction score
Correct-Dasypeltis medici medici to be exact.

Here's babies + dad.
Picture006-2.jpg

Mom and Dad(mom ready to shed)
caa062.jpg

With pigeon egg
caa058.jpg

mom and baby
p3.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1