FYI: Found a cheap way to stop heavy water flow issues, so no more stressing axies!

Was this Helpful to you?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ladyleslie2013

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Leslie
I was trying to figure out something i could do with an over the tank filter. I am not a fan of them. The water floe was to much for my water dog. i also needed to lower the water level so i could take the tank lid of to get the water temp cooler. I managed to do both with very little effort.

i dug through all my cabinets and found a giant very heavy, wine glass looking thing. (goblet) and a regular heavy duty drinking water glass.

i put the heavy goblet in the tank. Then placed a few stones to help balance the water glass i was putting on top of it. i then placed some stones in the water glass to weight it down. then i placed all of this under the water output of my tank filter.

the water flows in and the out of the drinking glass and then into the big goblet stopping all the motion in the water. it stopped the heavy water current. Super cheap. Its a very good temporary fix if your on a budget and been worrying about stressing out your babies. My water dog is so happy now!!! he is much more active and is eating better now.

here our some pictures of it because it was a little hard to explain. Hope it works for you! let me know what you try!

Attachments

• CIMG3669.jpg
    CIMG3669.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 856
  • CIMG3667.jpg
    CIMG3667.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 3,590
  • CIMG3668.jpg
    CIMG3668.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 1,252
Good idea, nice and cheap too.

You could also just pack the chamber tight with mechanical media like filter floss and wads of folded up felt.

I was just looking for something like this. Thanks a million. I've been using a small ceramic flower pot to "catch" the current underwater and diffuse it more harmlessly. It's working okay, but your idea is better.

amazing, I've taken this idea by havin a pint glass, with a cheap wine glass in top with stones, will let you know how it goes

Thanks so much for this great idea! One of my little axos was so stressed from the filter current he got a fungal infection that's taken off most of the skin off his leg. I was looking everywhere here for a gentler filter, spent lots of money and got lots of dud advice...
:mad:
Do it yourself fixes seem to be the only way to combat this problem- you should design a prototype and sell it to a filter making company!

Thank you thank you thank you again for alleviating a lot of stress for me and my two little babies!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back