Question: How do I tell when my axies become "mature"

porkchop48

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a small group I am raising up. How do I tell when they become "mature"?

Probably a stupid question but I figured I would ask and then head off to do some research reading.

Thank you in advance.

I know that they reach full maturity when they are 18 months old. when they are 3 inches they are still in the canabalistic state. for breeding you should wait for the female to reach the 18 months because she is still growing before that and if she puts all her energy and vitamins into eggs it could be bad for her development.

about the albino or wildtype.. i think the embryo inside the egg should tell pertly. the wildtype should be brown the albino would be white but i think that the leusistic golden and albino would all look the same... until after they hatch someone corrct me if im wrong

about the albino or wildtype.. i think the embryo inside the egg should tell pertly. the wildtype should be brown the albino would be white but i think that the leusistic golden and albino would all look the same... until after they hatch someone corrct me if im wrong

HUH?

I know at about what age they reach maturity but is there any signs to look for? Changes in the way they look, coloring, etc?
I assume like with most animals, some take longer than others.

Hi
The darkening of light axies toes and the lightening of dark axies toes is supposed to be a sign of maturity. (Altho finleys were dark at around 4 months and he didn't look male until 9 months)

I think the only way to know for sure is to see spermatophore in the tank to tell that males are ready and then eggs if the female is....lol
Not very helpful but yeah they are all different really. I have a wild who I cannot figure out is male or female and she has shown no signs of eggs or spermatophores and she is 18 months old.

Mel

Hi
The darkening of light axies toes and the lightening of dark axies toes is supposed to be a sign of maturity. (Altho finleys were dark at around 4 months and he didn't look male until 9 months)

I think the only way to know for sure is to see spermatophore in the tank to tell that males are ready and then eggs if the female is....lol
Not very helpful but yeah they are all different really. I have a wild who I cannot figure out is male or female and she has shown no signs of eggs or spermatophores and she is 18 months old.

Mel

Thank you Mel,

That actually did help quite a bit.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back