Question: Sand or gravel

kandl531

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
kandl531
:confused: CURIOUS QUESTION.... GRAVEL OR SAND.. I HAVE HEARD THAT SAND IS HARD TO KEEP CLEAN BUT I SEE IT IN A LOT OF PICS ON HERE.. GRAVEL WOULD THE COLORFUL ROCKS THAT YOU SEE IN THE GOLDFISH TANKS BE OKAY (MY DAUGHTER WANTS A RAINBOW). I HAVE ALSO SEEN SOME PRETTY SMALL ROCKS IN THE TANK BUT I HAVE ALSO READ THAT THEY WILL EAT THEM AND CAN BECOME SICK FROM IT.???? PLEASE HELP. IM SETTING MY TANK UP NOW BUT CANT FIGURE OUT WHAT I WANT:confused:

:confused: CURIOUS QUESTION.... GRAVEL OR SAND.. I HAVE HEARD THAT SAND IS HARD TO KEEP CLEAN BUT I SEE IT IN A LOT OF PICS ON HERE.. GRAVEL WOULD THE COLORFUL ROCKS THAT YOU SEE IN THE GOLDFISH TANKS BE OKAY (MY DAUGHTER WANTS A RAINBOW). I HAVE ALSO SEEN SOME PRETTY SMALL ROCKS IN THE TANK BUT I HAVE ALSO READ THAT THEY WILL EAT THEM AND CAN BECOME SICK FROM IT.???? PLEASE HELP. IM SETTING MY TANK UP NOW BUT CANT FIGURE OUT WHAT I WANT:confused:

Dunno who told you this info but sand is the easiest substrate to clean and you should never use gravel/pebbles with axies, they would just eat some and die. Just use sand, if you want it to look nice you could get some coloured sand, I just use play sand.

Use the search function and you will find loads of info.

Sand is way easier to keep clean.

Click here for axolotl housing.

In short, if you use normal aquarium gravel you risk killing your axolotl

Sand is really easy to clean, food debris sits on top of it, and axie poops are very easy to get up anyway, and also just sit on top of it.
water changes and a filter + algae scraper will do the rest.

Please don't risk gravel! As the others have said sand is easy to clean anyway. And although this may sound harsh (I don't mean it to) your axies health and happiness must come before aesthetics of the tank. I'm sure you'll be able to find a colourful hide for your axie that your daughter will love instead. =]

Sand is the best option, as stated the gravel can and probably will kill your axolotls. Make sure it is silica based and do not use marine sand (coral)

Thank you guys so much.... sand it is.. we found some purple sand that she likes that meets all standards.. thank you

No calcium ect? not reptile sand? (Y)

Thank YOU for checking first, some lucky axolotl(s) is getting a responsible owner, makes me smile.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back