Hello from Southern California

radsmom

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,
I am new to the forum but have been a long-time amphibian enthusiast. Many years ago when my husband and I were in college we had several salamanders and an axolotl. My husband is now a 4th grade teacher and we were talking about the fact that most kids in his class are clueless about salamanders.
We also have a son in 4th grade too. So I decided to do a home study unit on amphibians with my son (who is home schooled) and that has led to our renewed interested in having a habitat in our home and a new family member.
I really want to get a captive bred salamander or newt but I have had a lot of difficulty even finding one at all sold here locally in San Diego. I can remember years ago the little pet stores around all seem to have them (or at least fire bellied newts) but now most of them have never even heard about them! I did find one place that has paddled tail newts right now so we may go look at those today.
Sorry for the long introduction - I am looking forward to learning more in the community and hope that it will allow me to be a better care-taker of our new salamander - whatever it turns out to be.
Thanks, C.J.

Just an update - we ended up getting a Paddletail (Pachytriton labiatus) and he is now enjoying his new home. My son named him Chad. So far it all looks good - he is quite active and enjoying the new clean, cool, circulating water. The tank he came from at the pet store was more like a concentration camp than a habitat. I really debated even buying one there but I figured for $9 I'd be rescuing one at least.

welcome aboard!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back