Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Rescued axies NO gills left

melfly

Reaction score
Hi
I recently sold some axolotls to a pet shop. With a care sheet.
Unfortunately they didn't heed the dont mix with fish advice.
They called me today because all three now have no gills. And I mean NO gills

I've brought them home. Two look dead, although i think there may be a tiny bit of life there.

My question is with no gills at all and them laying lifeless, will they be getting any oxygen. They are not moving at all and are now in the fridge. Will they be getting any oxygen? Is there anything else i can do for them??

Thanks
Mel

Erzs

Reaction score
Hey Mel, really sorry to hear about your axolotls. =[

Unfortunately I'm not too sure what you could do to help them. But I had a quick search for some information and came across something similar, although not quite as severe: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...free-all/59249-axolotl-no-feathery-gills.html

There are responses from Dark Maverick, I think it is, and the second gives advice on helping your axolotls regen their gills. Sorry if you've already seen this.

Is there any chance of pictures to see what extent their loss of gills is at? Are there not even stubs left? I think your only hope may be visiting a vet if they are motionless. Hopefully the fridge will help relieve them of stress in the meantime.

Will you be taking action against the store? If you do decide to take them to the vet I hope they at least pay for any consultations/treatment your axolotls need.

I hope they get better soon. =]

melfly

Reaction score
Hi
Thanks for your reply.
I'm just uploading some pictures now.

I'm not sure they'll make it over the weekend.
One of them looks like he may be ok eventually but the other two.....

Mel

melfly

Reaction score
Pic one all 3
Pic 2. This one has shown no signs of movement.
Pic 3 This one has shown an ever so slight movement in its tail
Pic 4 This one despite having no front legs and no gills is not looking too bad and is swimming around.
:(:(:(:(:(:sad:

Attachments

• Image1131.jpg
    Image1131.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 1,144
  • Image1132.jpg
    Image1132.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 945
  • Image1133.jpg
    Image1133.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 817
  • Image1134.jpg
    Image1134.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 796

melfly

Reaction score
Nope. I actually thought the two were dead but there would have been signs of decay by now if they were.

I just hope they are getting some oxygen somehow with them not being able to swim up for air.

My wish tonight is that they will be ok in the morning. Or at least slightly responsive. :(

Mel

Erzs

Reaction score
Oh my goodness the poor little things! I wish I could offer some advice, let's just hope they make it through the night like you say.

Also just wondering if they are in separate or the same container? If the worst happens and one does pass away whilst in the container with the others would it not contaminate the water? Just a concern that may be unnecessary really!

zoezakella

Reaction score
Oh no Mel your poor babies :( So sorry really hope they pull though xxx p.s. my god I hate shops that give bad advice or dont look after pets :mad:

melfly

Reaction score
I was thinking this myself actually. I'm going to cool some more water and split them before i go to bed.
Thank you

Mel

Erzs

Reaction score
Okay. =] Let us know how they get on Mel. Fingers crossed they will pull through! =]

zoezakella

Reaction score
oh Mel sucks it really does, your wilds are amazing and so wish I had been closer was desperate for one! Just one bad tale after anotherm I mean look at the 2 shops I dealt with and how many problems I have had and if it had not been for you guys I would have been in trouble. Axies are just too special and should be treated as such!!! keeping all fingers and toes crossed xxx

melfly

Reaction score
Thanks Zoe
I kind of thought with my guidance they would be ok.
The 1st 3 i took in were fine for 2 weeks then they were sold.

All the info is on the care sheet i left too.

Hopefully this will prove that I in fact do know what i'm talking about. I am thankful to the guy for phoning me to come get them. He could have left them for dead.
I'm glad i brought the 'dead' two home with me as well.

Mel

zoezakella

Reaction score
so sad and stupid that they did not listen :mad: so how are all 3 now???? xxx

melfly

Reaction score
Right now they are still the same. One deathly still. One with an ever so slight response. The other one not bad at all considering. Rather skinny, I've put him some bloodworm in.

Mel
xx

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I think you are doing the right thing by separating and fridging. They should be able to absorb oxygen through their skin, also keep their water shallow so that they can get to the surface easily. All the best with these little guys.

melfly

Reaction score
Thank you Julia
Thats great to hear they are getting some oxygen.

I'll let you know how they go

Mel
x

Morrison

Reaction score
As far as I know they breathe in 3 different ways:
-The gills
-Some sort of 'lungs'
-And through their skin

Hope they'll get well really soon. Poor things :(

sek

Reaction score
That's horrible, Mel. I hope that petshop gets their act together, if not reported.
The fridging is good, I wish you the best for your axies.
Do keep us updated.

Crysta

Reaction score
Please name and shame them in the testimonial section. not to mention let them know they are getting nothing off you considering how they treated the axolotls, and your advice/care sheet.

fingers crossed tightly, for your little ones!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1