The pet addiction expandeth!

Hayden

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Hayden
So, I went to my local pet shop for some fish food. I came home with a juvenile Nigerian Uromastyx, my first lizard since my Leopard gecko.

He still doesn't have a name.

marshallsmom-albums-other-pets-picture12070-my-new-nigerian-uromastyx-rings-himself-up.jpg

Isn't he cute? You can't really tell from the picture, but he's got hints of green on his face and he's beautifully marked. I had wanted an Ornate, but this little buddy was about $250 cheaper. Plus, he knows how to work a cash register. ;)

Awesome Uro. I love Uromastyx but I dont know if I can endure the heat needed for keeping one again:lol:.

They are so relaxed and laid back. He looks like a lazy one. Lazy ones are cool:D

Thanks Jay. He's pretty cool, huh? I just can't seem to get him warm enough. I have a heat lamp with a hundred watt bulb, but he's only at like eighty degrees.

I kept my Mali in a screen reptarium cause ventilation is a must to keep the humidity down as low as possible. I had a ceramic heater ( I forget what watt ) and a 150 spot light type basking bulb and he still clung to the screen top to try to get closer. They need like 113+ for a basking spot.

I think I'm going to buy him a black slate-esque rock so that it gets really hot. He's a super nice lizard though. He watched trashy TV with me today. :D

Thanks Mac!
He seems to be doing better today, he has been quite active and he ate this morning, however, he had a small amount of runny stool this evening. I really think it is the stress of moving, though. His heat has gone way up, and he seems happy.

I have a 100 watt light bulb designed specifically for heating the tank, but I don't know if it gives off UVB. I covered the top of the tank with aluminum foil to try and reflect more light into the tank. I think I might get another lamp and a heating pad and see how that does.

Glad to see you took the plunge! This one should develop some really nice colors as it gets older/bigger. :D

The light you are referring to should be fine for basking, but they are referring to a UVB source that I had mentioned to you via pm.

Uros are very susceptible to metabolic bone disease - so you need an actual light that simulates natural sunlight so your new pet can get the vitamin D he needs to properly process calcium (you can dust his veggies 1-2 times a week. Some do theirs more frequently.) I like the zoo med bulbs (about $35) but the mercury vapor that Mac mentions are excellent but a bit more pricey. You will need to plan on replacing this bulb every 6 mo. even if not blown out (Mac, correct me about the mercury vapor if I am wrong) as the effectiveness fades.

http://pet.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pPETS-5957561dt.jpg

Can I leave him in a sunlit window? He still won't take food.
He doesn't show any symptoms of MBD.

The glass will actually block the rays that he needs.

Don't be alarmed about him not eating yet, probably still stressed. May take him a week or more before he starts. I got one shipped to me once and took him almost 3 weeks to eat. I would recommend a weekly soak too in 1/4 - 1/2" of some nice, hot water (not boiling ;) ) for about 15 min. or when the water begins to cool. They usually won't take water from a dish so I just like to be sure they are staying hydrated in addition to what they get from the veggies.

MBD can creep up on you, so best to look into a lamp to be on the safe side.

Oh thank goodness! :) I'm glad he'll be okay. I'm going to get that lamp tomorrow. I think I'll soak him tomorrow too.
He's really cute. He's living next to my frogs, and he is fascinated by the crickets!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back