Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: What things do people use as hides for your axies?

axolotlmilky

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm bored so this is just a general chit-chat question and not really a plea for help lol.
I use to use a half ceramic flower pot in my tank to provide cover for my axy, but as this made the whole thing look really ugly I decided to buy an exo terra reptile hide, like this one:

PT2854_Reptile_Cave.jpg

and it looks 1000 times better. It took him/her a couple of days to use it but now he/she uses it all the time. Basically I'm being nosey :p and wondering what other people are using and whether they think I made a good decision

Anyway cheers for reading, and sorry if I annoyed anyone with my little pointless post :p

femme

Reaction score
I have half a pot covered in java moss and a cave i made from slate that i plan to cover with moss to. I'm still playing with Juans new tank so this might all possibly change :rolleyes:

Erzs

Reaction score
So weird I was going to ask this question earlier too! I use wood/log things and stone type caves. They seem to go down well but I'm really taken with this idea of using reptile hides! I'll be sure to have a look at the ones in the local pet shop! =]

Morrison

Reaction score
I have coconut hides, a reptile cave thingy like you posted (small one) and some PVC pipes. (And ofcourse (fake) plants and pieces of wood)

I am really curious what other people will post, just for some inspiration.

Reptileguy2727

Reaction score
Looks better than my PVC pipes. PVC pipes can have gravel and sand glued to them to help them look better, but that looks great. May want to also check out the new cichlid stones, hollow ceramic decorations for cichlids that have a hole in them, would be perfect.

sek

Reaction score
My axies like a little change-up once in a while. I have a terracotta pot, and now I am using a 'barrel' that I bought from the petshop which was really cheap. Very good hide, they can enter from the side as well as the ends. I plan on making a mangrove shaped hide for my new tank out of clay soon.

Crysta

Reaction score
Face plants arrange for shade, half log type decoration, which makes a nice tunnel when not hiding a filter ;D "rock formation" type decorations. but mainly just lots of plants/.

blackdog

Reaction score
I currently have storm water pipes

But i just bought some fake rocks - i dont have them yet, but the guy who made them sent a couple of pics

Attachments

• Axolotls - 16.jpg
    Axolotls - 16.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 537
  • Dsc02980.jpg
    Dsc02980.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 289
  • Dsc02981.jpg
    Dsc02981.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 286
  • Dsc02982.jpg
    Dsc02982.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 241

zoezakella

Reaction score
should have said I also use a big 30cm hollow log and another smaller log which they also love

ted22

Reaction score
I use a large reptile cave (similar to the pic you posted) its got about 1square foot space inside so plenty of room for my massive axie to move around in! Also have used bogwood to make caves, a large lifesize human skull ornament, and a large piece of pcv pipe! The cave looks best tho but gomez uses it as his toilet so its abit annoying having tho lift it up every day to clean under it!

femme

Reaction score
The cave looks best tho but gomez uses it as his toilet so its abit annoying having tho lift it up every day to clean under it!

This made me choke on my coffee!
least you know where to find it!! Juan does it anywhere then stamps through it 5 times... worse than kids!:rolleyes:

ted22

Reaction score
This made me choke on my coffee!
least you know where to find it!! Juan does it anywhere then stamps through it 5 times... worse than kids!:rolleyes:

Haha yeah he seems to have trained himself (maybe he just likes the privacy) If he has done a poo in the cave he wont go back in untill I have cleaned it up, such a funny little thing! Only prob is lifting the cave (no matter how gentle) creates abit of water movement and I end up making it go everywhere, Im thinking of somehow cutting a little cap off the top of the cave so can just lift a lid rather than the whole thing but need to find myself a suitable tool for the job!

carriw

Reaction score
I use a large reptile cave (similar to the pic you posted) its got about 1square foot space inside so plenty of room for my massive axie to move around in! Also have used bogwood to make caves, a large lifesize human skull ornament, and a large piece of pcv pipe! The cave looks best tho but gomez uses it as his toilet so its abit annoying having tho lift it up every day to clean under it!

Blanco poops in his log too. Flippin eck I now know what you guys were on about when you talk about axolotl poop. Its the size of a jelly bean! Turkey baster acquired!

ted22

Reaction score
Blanco poops in his log too. Flippin eck I now know what you guys were on about when you talk about axolotl poop. Its the size of a jelly bean! Turkey baster acquired!

The turkey baster is gonna be the most leathal meapon in your arsenal against axie poo, but I got a problem, gomez does the hugest poops in the world now (too big for my turkey baster to suck up) so im on the look out for a bigger better one, a turkey baster big enough to erradicate Gomez poo FOREVER!!!!!!!! HEHE!

Spartacus

Reaction score
I wasn't expecting to laugh so much in this post :D
Mine are wee brats like that too, poop in all hides.
I use a large half log, a large sunken ship which has made my wildtype a grumpy recluse,
a cave/pride rock-like collection of rocks and a pipe.
Buying that ship was probably my biggest regret, I don't see Dickie for days, until I have to drag her out for feeding. Stops her getting pregnant though, last thing I need is more grumpy axolotls like her.

vampybabe

Reaction score
My guys like the big skull ive got in there, all 3 tend to hide in it, not sure what ill get them once theyve outgrown it though,they never poop in it which is good, although they just do it randomly wherever they feel like it but at least I can see it and turkey baster it up :)

femme

Reaction score
I think we need a 'where does your axie poop' thread before this one gets any more hijacked lol
I think Juan has been taking sneak reads of this thread. I lifted his plant pot to check underneath when i was cleaning yesterday and low and behold... POOP!! :eek:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1