Question: Axo breeding

hornet

Reaction score
Country
Australia
My gf has 2 axo's, one which to me looks like a female, shes had her for over 2 years now and a month or 2 back i got her a male. Their current tank is fairly bare, ih has a few large rocks which they can hide around and is in a fairly seculeded place where they dont get bright light and have a bit of privacy. Should the breed by themselves of should we be doings something to trigger breeding?

They will breed themselves if they are ready.

Seasons tend to trigger breeding. Different lengths of sunlight and temp.

I think it tends to be spring and autumn.
So just as it starts getting a bit warmer and then when it gets cold again from summer.

(I think this is right. And is what tends to happen with mine)
Some axies breed whenever. (but this could be due to the same factors happening through different times of the year)

Mel

I agree.
I've heard stories of people cooling the water a bit to make them think it's getting 'wintery'.

You could try that if you were desperate to breed lol.

I left my living room curtains closed for a few days as I was in hospital(the room was pretty dark) and this triggered them to breed by accident.

Mel

My male axie is too.... inactive to pay attention to my ladylotl...:confused:

To be honest I've never seen any 'courting' between them.
Finley just seems to go on mad dropping sprees.

Do you notice any spermatophores in the tank?

Mel

Me? Well... I haven't found anything yet... -_-' (Lazy lotls, lol)

It'll happen one day! I've been waiting forever, didn't even think I had any males. I saw no spermatophore and no courting but then BOOM! eggs everywhere!

Wow I wish I woke up one day and see eggs everywhere in m axie tank. :cool:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back