Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Worm Size

MichaelWB

Reaction score
Just fed my Axie an earthworm for the first ever time. It was a terrifying experience for all concerned!

Because of how vacant she looks I had visions of me just waving the worm in her face and her doing nothing, but she moved faster than anything I had ever seen in my life!

Only issue is, I'm not sure if the worm I gave her was too big? It was nearly as long as she was. (They look smaller in your garden compared the axie tank!) She sucked it all down like a big piece of spaghetti and I'm pretty sure she enjoyed it. Would I know if it was too big for her, or would she try and eat it regardless of size?

Is there any earthworm/axalotl size rule I should know about? Just so I don't overfeed her or give her something so big she can't eat it and hurts herself?

She definitely enjoyed it though!

blackdog

Reaction score
I have two axies.

One will take a worm of seemingly any size, any time. Snaps it down, and if it is big enough and wriggly enough to get away, it'll take it again and again until it's gone.

The other, seems to be fussier. Sure, he will move like grease lightning to take a worm, but if it is too big and wriggly, he'll spit it out. after that first time, he won't take it again no matter what. When that happens i have to leave it for another 30 minutes or so and try again.

To solve that -

* I leave the worms in a little jar with some tank water for 30 minutes or more - this slows the worm down a little, and they evacuate their poop
* I use a slightly smaller worm for the fussier guy - this means he takes it down in one gulp

Just trial and error to what your guy likes. If he swallowed it and kept it down, then it's fine

sek

Reaction score
If you're worried about your axie throwing up the earthworm, cut the worm in half. Some axies like to swallow the worms whole, others are fussy. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1