A couple of questions..

albert

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First - I'd be grateful for any opinions on the sex of my second axi (pics below).

Secondly I'd like some advice on tankmates. I have had one axi for about 4 months (likely female) and the second one for a couple of months. Both have grown quite a bit in that time - the older one is about 10 ins long; the latest addition (in the pics) is about 8 ins long. They are both currently in separate 2ft tanks - but I want to get a 4 or 5ft tank and introduce both axis to it. Are these two likely to be compatible at this size - and are there any other things I need to consider (I am aware of cycling, substrate, hides etc)?

Any advice gratefully received.

Attachments

• SNV33290.jpg
    SNV33290.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 189
  • SNV33296.jpg
    SNV33296.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 175
  • SNV33311.jpg
    SNV33311.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Hi
A couple of inch difference at that size shouldn't be too bad.
Just watch out for any accidental mealtime aggression. Feed at separate sides of the tank or use a divider.

Mel

PS i think he may be too young to sex just yet

Hi

I have one thats a few inches smaller then his tank mate, the whites ones always seem to grow faster then the wilds.

One of my white axies is now 11 months old and the last week of 2 he's shown me that he is indeed a boy and not a girl so poor Rose now has to have a new name lol.
which my son isn't to happy about.

Thanks for the advice - I think I'll start looking for a new tank. I'll post some more pictures of Leo in a couple of months time and see if his gender becomes more apparent.

Good luck with finding a new tank, ar 4/5ft one would be amazing I bet your axies would love that huge amount of space! (also means you'd have space for more!)

Good luck with your search, hope you find a bargain!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back