Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help!

DeCypher

Reaction score
I tried feeding my newt via tweezers, as some people on here advised me to do. I didn't actually used tweezers, i put a piece of earhworm on a pencil, and stuck it right in front of his nose. As it was squirming in front of him, he looked at it for about 20 seconds, then walked away. He did this 4 times. What do I do now??

DeCypher

Reaction score
And also, whenever I try to get him in the water, he just floats, and he'll swim to the edge of the tank and start clawing at the glass and flipping out. It really gets me concerned. Another one of the tank has his exact same habits, only he is skinny and frail.

Crysta

Reaction score
Newts can act like that sometimes (the glass behaviour)
If you give them some more levels in the water (ornaments ect) they will rest on those.
Don't use a pencil, that's pretty dangerous. they are made of graphite, if the end breaks off while you newt may be trying to eat off it, it could hurt them, also they wont be able to pull the worm off a pencil, if it's impaled. with tweezers you can let go of the worm when they have it.
Feeding tongs are really cheep, and you can get them wherever reptile products are for sale usually.

The main issue here is that one newt wont eat. Check the temperature and the perimeters, these are the two usual antagonists.

DeCypher

Reaction score
It's a red-spotted newt, and the temp is usually maintained at about 65-75 degrees.

DeCypher

Reaction score
Everything is set up very nicely, a stress-free environment, and I'd love to post some pictures but my cable was chewed up by my dog...

DeCypher

Reaction score
I just bought some tongs today, and i chopped an earthworm in half to about an inch long, and stuck the one end right in front of his nose. He squinted at it, looked irritated, and turned away. I put it in front of his nose again, and the same thing happened. What should I do? Now I'm getting very concerned...
icon9.gif

DeCypher

Reaction score
I have basically lost all hope for her. Does ANYBODY out there have an idea? This is turning into an emergency...I feel that she may die soon.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is your newt emaciated? If not, if probably won't die soon. I'd keep trying, sometimes it takes a while for newts to hand feed. Otherwise, you might want to try leaving minced earthworm bits in a shallow bowl for it overnight, maybe it's too shy to eat from your hand. Or try a different food, a shallow bowl with some blackworms perhaps. Or maybe some termites if you can find any in your yard.

JWERNER

Reaction score
If your newts eating otherwise why worry so much?

I would stop pushing hand feeding for now,.. at least before it really does become an emergency.

Try a mix of things like blood worms, pellets, and brine shrimp. Drop the stuff in the tank and as hard as it may be just walk away from it. The more you poke around out of good nature the more stress will be present in the newt.

DeCypher

Reaction score
What is emaciation? Also, I would love to put in brine shrimp and bloodworms, but he won't go in water at all.It's almost like it freaks him out.

JWERNER

Reaction score
What is emaciation? Also, I would love to put in brine shrimp and bloodworms, but he won't go in water at all.It's almost like it freaks him out.

Emaciation means skinny and starving. Try something live like fruit fly or small crickets. Maybe even start with some ants from outside or something.

slowfoot

Reaction score

Have you posted pictures of your newt before? It could be that he's still and eft and will want to be on land only.

dipsydoodle

Reaction score
Try feeding him brine shrimp.

It took my newt about 3 weeks before he would eat and he'd was interested in nothing but brine shrimp.

Also try live earth worm and leave them in the tank; and try something like wax worms so the newts can see the food moving :(

My newt has the same behavior in regards to the swimming; mine is terrestrial, sounds like yours are too.

DeCypher

Reaction score
He is not an eft, he's dark green, and you can see his bones so he must be emaciated. My only land area is a medium-sized rock breaking the surface. Wouldn't ants or crickets drown? Also, one of you mentioned putting a little water dish full of blackworms on land and I did. Not quite sure where they went, but when I came down there and saw the empty dish, he was sitting on the rim...

JWERNER

Reaction score
You should also quarantine him. It could be parasites.

I would place him in a small Tupperware container with moist paper towels and a dish with water that he can climb in and out of.

This way you can tell if he is eating cause the worms would have nowhere to hide.

DeCypher

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be kind of mean to seclude him like that? Also, if I were to do that, what would be an appropriate top for a tupperware?

JWERNER

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be kind of mean to seclude him like that? Also, if I were to do that, what would be an appropriate top for a tupperware?

Why? They have no social order.

They would each benefit from it especially if ones harboring a parasite.

If you keep them all separate to begin with they would all benefit from the lack of competition alone but yes it is more fun to keep more than one. I would at least quarantine him till it straightens out.

You could use the lid that comes with the Tupperware.Just poke holes in it. Or even better use a Sterilite plastic shoe box.

I think he is either still transitioning and is not completely done morphing or the water quality is off in some way be it polluted or to warm. Regardless forcing him don't help to achieve anything be it eating or swimming.

How about you post your entire set up from substrate to filter and temps as well.

Last edited:

DeCypher

Reaction score
i have a cool little rock cave about 12 by 6 inches on one side of the tank with tons of nooks and crannies for them (made of a stack of shale). The largest rock is breaking the surface. I eliminated the substrate because they kept on losing their food. I have no filter, so i clean the tank every day. Unfortunately, along with the substrate, I had to take out the plants too. I know that could be a burden on them but they seem to love that rock cave, so I think that could substitute.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1