Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Do axolotls sleep?

lea

Reaction score
Yeah they sleep....I think mine sleep all day and party all night. But i dont really know the exact times.

sek

Reaction score
They rest and sleep off and on. It also depends on the temperature (the colder, the more they sleep and rest, the warmer, the more active they are)

I think it's different for all axies. My wild type sleeps a lot more than my leucistic.

Danni

Reaction score
I think the problem is that it is very hard to tell if they are awake or asleep as they cannot shut their eyes, but sometimes mine seem to get a fright when I go close to the tank, so I think this is when I wake them up suddenly or something.

MereB

Reaction score
I think the problem is that it is very hard to tell if they are awake or asleep as they cannot shut their eyes, but sometimes mine seem to get a fright when I go close to the tank, so I think this is when I wake them up suddenly or something.
Sounds reasonable. Mine are usually really good with the chaos around them (3 boys under 7) but every now and then you walk past them and they shoot off around the tank looking like you've just snuck up behind then and screamed BOO.
Happens more if it's been quiet in their room for a while now that I think about it.

This morning they were laying "lifeless" in the bottom of the tank in their hides, I panicked and ran out there to check on them and BOOM off they shot :grin: Poor little things I hope I didn't disturb them from a really good dream, man I hate when that happens :(

Seems they are like cats then, sleep little and often rather than a good solid block like we do, I guess if you have critters around that could eat you, you can't afford to be out for several hours :rolleyes:

Danni

Reaction score
MMmmm, mine is like that too, and he also gets a fright if I turn on the light in my bedroom after periods of darkness when he is not in the shade of one of his hides.

Sometimes he worries me a bit when he swims into the wall after being "woken up", but I am waiting on a much larger tank so maybe he wont do that anymore :)

Norcinu

Reaction score
Hmm, usually with my golden albino I can tell because his frills get really pale. I remember the first time I saw that I thought he was dead! Now thanks to that I call him Ghost.

bunny27

Reaction score
Hmm, usually with my golden albino I can tell because his frills get really pale. I remember the first time I saw that I thought he was dead! Now thanks to that I call him Ghost.

My Leucistic does this too where his gills turn pale. He lays really still and doesn't really move, like he's zoned out or something. I guess this is them sleeping/resting?

sek

Reaction score
My leucistic also does this. It's only because he isn't moving and the blood in the vessels aren't showing. That's when I always know he's asleep or he's been running around like a mad thing.

Morrison

Reaction score
I guess my axies were asleep and woke up when they get what I call an "axie outburst". Swimming around like "aaaah!"

Erzs

Reaction score
Mine never have an axie outburst! Maybe they do all nighters!

But usually I go by a zoned out look and gill colour I guess. Also I've noticed if I go near the tank and Arbie is awake she'll come trundling up/over to see if I bring offerings of worms. If she's in a zoned out state she doesn't even flick a gill at me!

They also seem quiet all through the light hours and then when I put my lamp on and it goes darker they come alive!

Morrison

Reaction score
Mine never have an axie outburst! Maybe they do all nighters!

But usually I go by a zoned out look and gill colour I guess. Also I've noticed if I go near the tank and Arbie is awake she'll come trundling up/over to see if I bring offerings of worms. If she's in a zoned out state she doesn't even flick a gill at me!

They also seem quiet all through the light hours and then when I put my lamp on and it goes darker they come alive!

So true. My smallest axie does the same thing. He/she/it used to be very scared when I 'rescued' him/her/it from the local pet store but is now the first one trying to get some attention (or food) :rolleyes:

Spartacus

Reaction score
Sometimes he worries me a bit when he swims into the wall after being "woken up", but I am waiting on a much larger tank so maybe he wont do that anymore :)

Lol they will probably always do that. Not the smartest creatures. Mine are constantly swimming into the wall or tank objects, not always during a freak-out either.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!