More larvae questions...

hattori

Reaction score
Country
United States
My larvae (still don't know what it is, found in a pond of North Carolina) has greatly lost it's appetite in the past few days. It still eats, but whereas it was eating 6 to 8 small dried bloodworms, it now eats 2 or 3. It's also extremely skittish now.

Could this be a sign that it may be getting ready to morph soon? I will include a picture from about a week ago below.

He's a light brown color covered in little black dots in no apparent order. His gills don't seem to have shrunk, or if they have, they have done so by a miniscule amount.

Thanks for your help!

hattori-albums-larvae-picture12137-img-0840.jpg

That is a larval eastern newt. It is approaching metamorphisis. It still has its gills but it looks like its body structure is developing well. It will become more shy during and after morphing. Provide a terrestrial area and lots of tiny live foods.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back