Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Can anyone identify this illness?

jane1187

Reaction score
I'm currently working on a relocation project involving the capture and relocation of smooth newts (in the UK). Recently we've been finding some smooth newts with 'lumpy' skin. This is obviously an illness of some sort since smooth newts do not have warty skin. The newts sometimes show jerky movement which also indicates that this may be an illness of some kind. The lumps distort the newt's body shape and do not exude any fluids of any kind. I've never seen a disease of this kind amongst my own pet newts and haven't seen this amongst wild newts either.

We have been reluctant to take these newts to the new site for fear that it is a contagious disease and we do not want to contaminate the new site.

I have attached a couple of photos of one of the more serious looking newts. You may be able to make out the lumps, some of which distort the face as well as the body.

Just incase it aids a disgnosis, the site is potentially chemically contaminated which is why the current verdict is chemical burns. However so far the sick newts found have been randomly spread around the large site which would suggest that a chemical on the ground is not to blame. We also use carpet tiles which may have chemical dyes on them or such like, could they cause an issue? Perhaps it is a commonly occurring disease in wild newts (or amongst pet newts) that someone recognises?

Even if you can't suggest a particular disease please post suggestions as to what my be the cause of these strange lumpy newts so that we can act appropriately during our relocation efforts.

Attachments

• Image0201.jpg
    Image0201.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 234
  • Image0202.jpg
    Image0202.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 224

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
O_O
Never seen anything like that.
Looks like blisters, so i suposse they could be caused by a chemical.
The closest thing i´ve seen i think were a type of mite that burrows under the skin.

herpvet

Veterinarian
Reaction score
Hello,

From what I can see in the pictures, I've seen something similar in one outbreak in wild frogs in the uk - from limited lab work the pathologist felt it appeared to be a bacterial disease, no histological signs of chytrid or specific underlying cause, but funds were tight (as usual) and diagnostics were limited.

Anyway, I would certainly advise getting affected newts to an interested vet for diagnostic work up and treatment; pending results obviously not taking them to the new site would be prudent. Histopathology of affected lesions would probably be the initial test of choice.

I would be very interested to hear about any conclusions you reach.

best wishes,

Bruce.

I'm currently working on a relocation project involving the capture and relocation of smooth newts (in the UK). Recently we've been finding some smooth newts with 'lumpy' skin. This is obviously an illness of some sort since smooth newts do not have warty skin. The newts sometimes show jerky movement which also indicates that this may be an illness of some kind. The lumps distort the newt's body shape and do not exude any fluids of any kind. I've never seen a disease of this kind amongst my own pet newts and haven't seen this amongst wild newts either.

We have been reluctant to take these newts to the new site for fear that it is a contagious disease and we do not want to contaminate the new site.

I have attached a couple of photos of one of the more serious looking newts. You may be able to make out the lumps, some of which distort the face as well as the body.

Just incase it aids a disgnosis, the site is potentially chemically contaminated which is why the current verdict is chemical burns. However so far the sick newts found have been randomly spread around the large site which would suggest that a chemical on the ground is not to blame. We also use carpet tiles which may have chemical dyes on them or such like, could they cause an issue? Perhaps it is a commonly occurring disease in wild newts (or amongst pet newts) that someone recognises?

Even if you can't suggest a particular disease please post suggestions as to what my be the cause of these strange lumpy newts so that we can act appropriately during our relocation efforts.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1