Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Egg colours

Spartacus

Reaction score
Sorry for all the questions. I had a wee search first but the post I found resulted in me needing to ask this.

My gold laid white eggs, but she's come out with a second batch (already!) and some of them are brown. I read the colour of eggs depended on genetics but she is having both colours. Is this normal?
Can anyone clarify this for me?

Will this mean the brown eggs are different coloured axies? I'd loooove some gold babies.

The white eggs came out as what look like wildtypes, but some may change into spotty leucistics like the father. My first ever batch are off to a great start, two weeks old and only just had the first casualty today. So much fun :D I think I'll raise some every year if it continues to go well

melfly

Reaction score
Is she a gold albino or does she have dark eyes?

The colour of the eggs has no reflection on the colour of the baby.

I've had leucistic, gold albino, white albino and wild from brown eggs. And all of the same colours from white eggs too.

Congratulations on your babies!!

Mel

Spartacus

Reaction score
Thank you ^^ I'm so happy to finally have some!
I expected more losses so far but they are hardy wee creatures.

Upon closer inspection, the brown eggs are barely developed, compared to the whites. I don't know whether they are just slow, newer, or failures.
I think she is albino, her eyes are bronzey. There are photos of her in my gallery.

So its normal for one axolotl to lay both coloured eggs?
I hope I get some variations from them, they all look identical so far.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1