Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How old are my Axies?

MereB

Reaction score
Is there any way to know how old an Axie is?
I got my 2 about a month and a half ago, one male, one female and they produced a clutch of 100ish eggs a month ish ago. Only one hatched and only 10 in all even got close to hatching (maybe her first spawning?)

They are both 8 inches long.... anyone want to hazard a guess as to their age?

Any insight would be appreciated :happy:

Mere.

ted22

Reaction score
hmm I dont know at what age the females start to spawn but heard they shouldnt be bred untill a year to 18months so could be about that age maybe?

It'll be bloody hard to tell by size my axie was 8in at about 4/5 months but doubt a female would be mature enough to spawn at that age (could be wrong) so Im guessing nearer to a year or more. My axie is 11ins but only bout 9 months old, others ive seen are a couple of years old and still only 8ins so I really dont think size is anything to go by im afraid!

Your axie's age may forever remain a mystery unless maybe you can track the breeder and find out when the batch was born? Unless someone knows more than I do about this kinda thing and can better answer your question!

Take it easy!

MereB

Reaction score
Thanks Ed I figured as much :D Guess I'll never know. All the axolotls for sale in Australia come from the one place, which if I remember rightly is in Melbourne. I understand it's a commercial deal so I doubt they would have any idea which axies came from which spawning :(

Everything I've read says a mature adult can be anything from 6-18 inches :rolleyes: with 9 being average and 12 and above being rare.

Thank's again :D
Mere.

melfly

Reaction score
When Freddie first laid she was about 16 months old. There was a really high death rate on her eggs and larvae.

She has laid again a few months later and the larvae survival rate has been a lot better this time.

Mel

MereB

Reaction score
When Freddie first laid she was about 16 months old. There was a really high death rate on her eggs and larvae.

She has laid again a few months later and the larvae survival rate has been a lot better this time.

Mel
Good to know Mel, Thank you. I was starting to worry that they had some genetic issues to account for the poor survival rate.
So far their 1 baby is doing well, it's 2 weeks old now :happy:

melfly

Reaction score
Good to know Mel, Thank you. I was starting to worry that they had some genetic issues to account for the poor survival rate.
So far their 1 baby is doing well, it's 2 weeks old now :happy:

This is exactly what I was thinking about mine.
My gold laid twice in 4 weeks and the survival was pathetically poor.

The latest time was loads better

Only one of mine survived from the very 1st batch and thats the one in my avatar :D

Good luck with your little one!!
Me

MereB

Reaction score
I LOVE that little guy in your avatar, very cute and such a pretty color.
Mine haven't bread since... thankfully but she is looking a little on the fat side considering she isn't really eating as much as she was a week ago :confused: could be because the tank temp is 2 degrees lower than it was a week ago as well.
Hopefully they will have better luck the next time, or time after. Thank you Mel.

melfly

Reaction score
The decrease in appetite could be the lower tank temp.
But the lower temp could also be triggering breeding. She might be carrying eggs.

Mel

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
An axolotl's first spawning usually has a very poor survival rate. Fortunately, it gets better with each successive spawning.

MereB

Reaction score
An axolotl's first spawning usually has a very poor survival rate. Fortunately, it gets better with each successive spawning.
YAY Thank you :happy:

Thank's Mel. No signs of spawning yet fortunately. Ironically the male wilds appetite increased with the temp drop, a complete roll reversal for them :rolleyes: Still they look happy enough and she's not losing weight so not worried about it.

It seems I have to get them at the right time of day. Really late at night is awful. They are sleeping and i have to wake them, then they don't want to eat but get them @ 6pm and they tend to inhale anything you put in front of them :rolleyes:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1