How big is your axie?

lisordactyl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Lisa
How big is your axie and how old is he/she?

Just curious as I'm going to buy a baby axie soon. I feel a bit of a tight bum as I only got an 18" tank, which as you probably know, is the suggested 'acceptable minimum' on axolotl.org. I do plan on getting a bigger tank when it's bigger :)

I want to know what sort of trust fund to set up for my baby axie so it can get a palace when it comes of age!

Last edited:
I have 2 axies. Abby is 22cm and Cooie is 15cm.They share a 3ft tank. When are you planning on getting you baby? Please post some pictures when you him/her.
lea

I haven't measured mine, but there's at least an inch difference between my adult female, Max, and my adult male, Artie. I thought it might be helpful for you to know that size can vary. If you're really worried about 18" providing enough room to move, you could look for a fully grown adult who's on the smaller side. (I don't know what availability is in your area).

My axies are between about 20-25cms and are between one and two years old.
I have four and they live in a 120cm tank. Tanks are damn expensive but I got mine off a
buy and sell website for only $60! its just sheets of glass glued together, nothing fancy but it still looks fine. I'd rather pay $65 than over a grand for one this size :)

I have 7 axies.
The last time I measured them they were:
25 cm
22 cm
18,5 cm
18 cm
17 cm
16,5 cm
15 cm

Oh and I have two tanks

Gomez is about 28-29cm (nearly got my self a footer!) but he is still growing fast and still pretty young 9/10 months i think (ive had him for 6 months and had a rough guess that he was about 3/4months when I got him), he was about 15cm when I got him and has almost doubled in size in 6months, he lives by himself in a 3ft x 1.5ft tank as he out grew my 2ft tank within 3months of getting him!

I knew they grew quite fast, but I wasn't sure how fast! Gomez is going to be a beast!

Fortunately, someone I know is getting rid of 3ft tank soon, so I'm going to see how much he'd want for it.

I'm hopefully going to get her/him next week. I've just ordered a leucistic from exotic-pets after reading some good reviews on here! The tank is all set up and cycling :)

Yo, just to let you know a while back I found some bargains my 3ft tank only cost £4.50 the same bloke had 4footers for bout £7!

Heres the info I posted, includes website and phone number!

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f49-ad.../69294-very-cheap-fishtanks-available-uk.html

He doesnt have the tanks on his site but you can message or call and he'll let you know what he has (even his bespoke new tanks are bloody cheap like £30odd quid for a 3ft!) and he delivers nationwide!

Dont expect the used tanks to be like new (mine had some crusted on limescale but got rid of most of it with lemon juice and vinegar!) but if your not in the financial position to spend mega bucks these tanks should do you just fine, especially for under a fiver!

Enquire and see what you can find out (the bloke richard used to keep axies and is quite knowlegeable, found him really good to talk to!)

Good luck!

Hi

I have one juvenile as well as eggs. Juvenile is getting an 100cm tank on thursday (YAY), may add another axie to that tank (wait till eggs grow big enough?). Picked it up fr $30 (NZ Dollars) off trademe. Also have a few 45-50cm tanks, but they are my dads and he got them ages ago.

Danni

Juan is around a year old and like Gomez he is a beast at 28cm - i think its the names :D !
My sister got 2 the same time from the same place and Juan was by far the smallest of the 3 and now he is the biggest :eek:
He rapidly outgrew his 2 foot tank i bought him when he was a weedy little thing and its now in a 3 foot tank but i'm looking for a reasonably priced 4 footer for when my babies are big enough to join him

my axie is about 16"

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back