Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Possibly sick, 2 small symmetric "pimples" developed just ABOVE axolotls hind legs

Kenzocliche

Reaction score
Ive been trying to get an appropriate photo to demonstrate what i am talking about(but am having issues as the bumps are rather small and tend to blend into the skin in photos due to glare and lighting).

ANYWAY, my axolotl (who we think is female) has developed 2 very round very pimplesk(but not discoloured) bumps a couple centimetres above her hind legs, it is symmetric(as in it appears on both sides of her body).

I've had a look through forum topics and axolotl sickness and can;t seem to find anything related, should i be worried? Could it be parasitic? I will continue to try to get an adequate photo that demonstrates the growth.

lea

Reaction score
A photo would be very helpful. Could you add water parameters info. Is she on gravel? Does she live by herself?
Sorry for the questions.
lea

melfly

Reaction score
Is your axolotl skinny? Is its head the same width as its body when you look down on it?

Mel

Morrison

Reaction score
I once bought an axie at my local pet store which had the same 'pimples'. He was pretty young and skinny. So I'm almost sure it is something like a hipbone. He's getting a little fat now and I can't see them anymore:eek:

Kenzocliche

Reaction score
Thanks all for quick replies!

Some more info, she is on quartz stones(they are bigger then her entire body so no chance she has eaten any), water parameters are perfect according to guy at pet store when i brought sample in (although he did not give me exact measurements), water temperature sits at around 16-19 and she has one other tank mate.

That all being said after reading replies she is rather skinny, she normlly feeds really well (1 eartheworm a day) but has recently begun spitting them out once she gets them into her belly and has noticeably gotten skinnier. I am now wondering if she has become stressed due to tankmate(they've been together for a few months) as she has a small chunk of tail missing AND it appears has injured one of her legs. I assume the stress can cause her to stop feeding and lose the weight she has gained?

Im thinking best option would be to fridge her to avoid further weight lose until she recovers? Ill try to get a photo of her from above asap.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
If you are able to separate your axolotl from the other, and offer food regularly she will hopefully put on weight. I would offer her a small worm maybe twice a day , if the worms are big, cut them up. What size is she ?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1