Question: Unusual Coloured Axolotl?

tenealet

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi all,
My partner came home with a new axolotl that she had found in a pet shop. The poor little guy has been picked on and had his gills chewed off. I am wondering if he is a rare colour as I have never seen one like it. He is chocolate brown and his name is Spartikus. I am also wondering how long it will take for his gills to grow back?

We have four other axolotls and this one is now happy and not being picked on so I hope he will get better soon!

Teneale
tenealet-albums-my-axies-picture12192-spartikus.html

Attachments

• DSC00732.jpg
    DSC00732.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 1,770
I don't think thats an axoltol, looks more like another salamander, someone with more knowledge will be able to tell you what type hopefully.

It looks slightly more like a tiger salamander larvae...are you in Australia?
Would you be able to post any more pictures of Spartikus?

Last edited:
It does look Tiger salamandery. Although its toes are rather thin and long.....??

Mel

I disagree (Sorry Julia!). It looks like an axolotl. Like Mel said, the toes are long and thin. The coloration's rather flat, so it may be that it has reduced iridophores, but I don't think it's any special color.

Tis very unsual looking if it is an axolotl (to be honest they all look pretty unusual!) But the color is nice, the few wild axies (proper wild axies, not wild type captive bred) ive seen on documentarys and t.v have been exactly this colour, as you said chocolatey brown. It looks more like the nautural wild type rather than any other "wild types" I have seen (in my opinion), very nice!

As for gills as long as the water quality is up to scratch as well as temperature and loadsa healthy axie food they should grow back no worries, as for how long it will take is impossible to say but you should notice a difference within a month. My axie Gomez had very stumpy little gills when I got him and within 1 month they were as full and beautiful as they are now, but might take longer (or less) you should see a quick recovery if all conditions are optimal and is fed a proper diet!

Nice find!

HI,

that´s interesting. :eek:
I have never seen such a coloration, so I cannot believe that it is an axolotl. But I have no idea what else it could be. Maybe a mutation or an hybrid? :confused:

What size is the little guy?

Tina

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Axolotls are the ONLY non native amphibian that has been approved in Australia. You can not legally import, breed or sell or own tigers here and given how vicious quarantine are around here I'd have to say it's an axie, all be it a slightly oddly shaped and different colored one.

It is very pretty :D
Good luck I hope he makes a speedie recovery, poor little thing.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Axolotls are the ONLY non native amphibian that has been approved in Australia. You can not legally import, breed or sell or own tigers here and given how vicious quarantine are around here I'd have to say it's an axie, all be it a slightly oddly shaped and different colored one.

It is very pretty :D
Good luck I hope he makes a speedie recovery, poor little thing.
Thanks for you response. Yes, definately an axolotl. Unfortunately we have had problems with fungal infections and we lost our little Spartikus very soon after getting him. I have been going through the forums trying to get info to save the rest of the crew. Salt baths twice a day and the worst affected and most fragile is in the fridge. Poor little guy. They were all in such good health for so long and just recently we had a few hot days and the tank water temperature got too high.. I am researching chillers now, if we are having this trouble in September I can't imagine how they will cope with a QLD February...
Teneale

:( awww I'm sorry to hear that. Poor little Spartikus :(
I hope the rest of the gang recover quickly for you. Nasty stuff fungus.

I too am wondering how the tank will go with the Perth summer it's only the 3rd week of spring and the tank hit 22 yesterday (25 outside) :eek: it hits 40 allot here... I may be getting that chiller sooner than anticipated :sad: there goes $800

Last edited:
We have a ferret too, so we will be leaving the air on most of this summer. If its still not cool enough in the tank I was thinking of frozen water bottles to keep it a bit cooler during the worst of the heat :0( With the climbing power bills its going to be a costly summer I think, it also gets up around the 40's here /sigh

Edited to add, sorry for you Loss, poor little fella, he looked really cute too, good luck with the rest of your gang :0)

yes i agree i live in QLD too and it has been getting very hot here i have been freezing fish bags full of water and floating them in the tank it seems to do the job :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back