Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fine Sand

sek

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Lately it's been a right pain cleaning my sand. It's so fine that I have to be really careful with my siphon, I do end up cleaning it properly but I really would like to vacuum easier with it.

Could I put something on my siphon so it stops sucking the sand into the bucket but still gets all the gunk?

callina

Reaction score
I use fine sand in my tanks too, but I think there is no chance to leave the sand in the tank by siphoning out the waste. Vou only can be careful and hold the siphon light above the sand to suck the waste in. For the poo I use a turkey baster.

Tina

sek

Reaction score
I use a turkey baster also. Just wanted to see what others thought, I do the same with my sand too.

MereB

Reaction score
This is going to sound ridiculously simple and my apologies if you are already doing it.

Pinch the hose to reduce the water flow rate. The gunk should all be much lighter than the sand, it is in our tanks, and will still be removed while the slower flow gives the sand a better chance of sinking back down to the bottom of the tank.

we always wait for 95% of the sand to fall back down (lifting the end of the Siphon an inch or so off the top of the sand and waiting) before sticking it back into the sand a little along from where it was. Never had a problem doing it this way. If your fingers get tired you could always look into sorting out adding a reducing connector to the siphon and adding a smaller tube/hose

Figured I'd add this. This is what I use
aquarium-gravel-siphon.jpg
they come in all shapes and sizes, & hose is behind his hand. The very long ones have the strongest suction while there are some very small and odd looking ones that I imagine would work well on fine sand.

Last edited:

Crysta

Reaction score
I have VERY fine sand, I use a tiny airline to siphon, about an inch off the water, the gunk still lifts up.

sometimes the sand does, but It'll be around half a palms worth, if that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1