Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Can I get an Axolotl?

Collegekid

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here as you can tell and I am very interested in getting an Axie. The catch is that I'm living in a college dorm room :cool:
I am 100% sure that I'm ALLOWED to have one here, anything entirely aquatic is welcome so long as they don't need some sort of heating device that could be a fire hazard and from what I understand Axolotls like it cold. I can have up to a 20 gallon tank.
I am just wondering whether or not you think it's a good idea or wouldn't work out. I live in a dorm with one other girl, she thinks the axies look awesome. Obviously I may end up rooming with other people in other years but I can fill out on my roommate sheet that I have a salamander so that I don't get anyone who will freak out.
I have room for a tank on my dresser. Can fit something bigger than a 10, not sure if it can fit a 20 long though, *maybe*, I'll have to measure.
On holidays and over the summer I'll obviously have to bring the axie home, it's a 2 hour drive back home to MA.
I am somewhat limited in my resources, do you think an Axie would cost too much for a college student (I plan on getting a work study job)?

So mostly I'm wondering whether or not you think I can make it work, I really don't just want to get a fish. I'll make another thread asking more about how to care for them, first I want to know if I should even be thinking about it.

Thanks!

Morrison

Reaction score
I actually think that it's not a problem. An axie can fit in a 20 gal. tank and they do like it cold. I'm also a student and I don't have much money but I have 8 axies here and they don't cost a hellot a money like the tropical fish I once had. I always thought they were pretty expensive and hard to keep but when I was looking around for some info a year ago I found out that they're pretty... 'money friendly' and pretty easy to keep :)

And besides that they're just awesome! I have one of my tanks on my desk. (As long as a dresser or something doesn't wiggle a lot or if they get scared of people walking by suddenly then I think everything is alright)

tmorgan

Reaction score
Hi! ^_^
I posted on your tank set up post. Here it is again if you don't catch the other one:

I don't believe that the tank will need a lid as long as the water level isn't too close to the top to where they could get out.

You can have multiple axies together, but would need a bigger tank than 20 gallons. The rule of thumb tends to be more than 10 gallons per axolotl. Also, if you want to keep axies together, make sure that they are adults. They only nip and bite when they are in the juvenile stage of development.

2 in a 15 gallon tank would be too small of an area for them.

A filter will help with water quality. I'm not sure what kind is best for that size. Axolotls don't like a lot of water movement so nothing that produces a strong current. :)

As for the sand... I think it would be safer to just buy the play sand. That's what I did. :) Oh and RINSE it! Otherwise your tank will be a mess and you will have to start over. I rinsed mine a LOT and still had it be a bit cloudy. Sand is the best substrate to have. You can not have gravel because axolotls tend to accidentally suck them in and often times it will kill them. NO GRAVEL.
Big rocks are a pain too because all uneaten food and waste gets stuck in between and it makes it difficult to clean.

I'm not sure if I would try driftwood from the beach... I would imagine that the salt would be hard to completely remove. I'm not very knowledgeable in that area though. >_< I just got some from Petco and I know that other stores have some. Just don't buy reptile wood.

You will want to have live foods on hand if possible. Earth worms have the most nutritional value.
Axies also like dark places to hide because they don't have eyelids. o_O

I hope this helps. :)
Tahnee

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is possible to keep axolotls in a dorm, but please also consider the bigger picture. An axolotl's lifespan is around 10-20 years. How many times will you need to move in the next 10-20 years? Probably a lot. Having to move an aquarium and a temperature-sensitive animal each time will make moving more difficult. What if you want to study abroad or go away for a few months? There's always going to be that hassle of finding someone to competently look after them (not easy). Weigh the enjoyment of having them against the encumbrance they will put on your life, at a time when your life is likely to be busy and full of changes. There are other kinds of aquatic animals that would be easier to care for, such as goldfish, minnows, cherry shrimp, etc. I just got some cherry shrimp and I'm amazed at how lovely and tranquil they are to watch. And they do well in a small tank.

I'm not necessarily saying 'don't get axolotls'. But I want to make sure you know what you're getting into and consider some easier alternatives.

Collegekid

Reaction score
Yeah, I thought about the moving thing, that's why I'm asking if you think it would be wise. I promise though, I will NEVER go abroad, EVER. Do you think a two hour car drive would be too difficult for them?

dazkeirle

Reaction score
no a 2 hour car journey is fine.

This Friday i had my new axie in my desk at work for 6 hours. They are very tolerant. It's heat that causes them the issue, not so much the movement.

I'd say go for it, the benefits more than outweigh the slight responsibility.

p.s. why would you never go abroad?

Collegekid

Reaction score
I just really don't like to travel at all and I just am not one of those people who enjoy going to different places, doesn't excite me at all. I know it's strange, both my parents love to travel, they don't do it much but they get all excited about going to Ireland or whatever, I just don't get it myself. Not that I don't appreciate other cultures or find them interesting, travel just isn't my thing.

I also have several other pets that will need to be coming with me once I'm out of college. Leopard geckos live into their 20s, the crabs can too. So can the cats but I don't know if my parents will let me take them, if they bond with the dog I'd feel bad taking them anyways.

So I'm going to keep thinking about it, I might decide I don't want another long term commitment, though they do sound easier than the crabs and leo, we'll see.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1