Not sticky?

bubsmom

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone! Im new to all of this. About 3months ago I rescued a salamander from an oil puddle at a rig location. Ive never delt w or have any knowledge salamanders. Found out recently hes an adult grey tiger salamander. Ive read that thei sticky and thus providing them with excellent 'escape the cage' skills. Freddy aka Bubs is not sticky at all. Is that normal? Or is that a cause of the oil? Also how important is hibernation?? I read it'll shorten their life span if not..I want him as healthy as possible for as long as possible. Any help would be great! Im so glad I found this site! Thanks all

They are 'sticky' in the way that rubber is sticky, not the way that glue is sticky. If you were going to climb up the side of a building, you might be able to grip better with rubber gloves on; that's the kind of 'sticky' that people mean when they say tiger sals are sticky.

Most people that keep them in captivity just allow their temperature to go down as the temperature in the house goes down in winter. It certainly wouldn't hurt to keep them colder, but it's not very practical. They don't truly hibernate. Even at 40F they may still be active and need to eat occasionally.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back