Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help me set up my tank!

tianh

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I plan on getting two axxies real soon.

As far as im concerned this is what I am going to buy.

twenty gallon tank
lid
aquaclear HOB filter
decorations
sand

Am I missing anything else? Also could anyone please elaborate on the cycling process? Also alot of times I see people running more than one filter in the tank?

Thanks guys!

lea

Reaction score
hi
water testing kit, a turkey baster. I have a caniater filter but i have a filter(has cotton wool and charcoal looking stuff in it) in the side of the tank that blows bubbles. i have it just for the bubbles tho. The cycling of the tank does take time. Im guessing you are cycling with your axie in there..... You need to set up your tank(of course), and then put your new friend in. Please test the water daily and you will notice the ammonia peaking, you are nearly there, with daily water changes your tank should settle down to 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and some nirates.
Remember to post some pictures of your tank when it is set up and of course your new friends when you get them.

MereB

Reaction score
Also could anyone please elaborate on the cycling process?

Thanks guys!
I can do that for you.
What is happening in your tank while it's cycling is 2 VERY important friendly bacterias are taking up residence in your filter, on your substrate, the walls of your tank and anything else you have in there. You need to leave the tank to cycle (run like it would normally while monitoring water base lines to track the cycle) long enough for the #'s of these bacteria to get high enough to cope with the waste your pets will produce.

OK I posted this on another thread but since you asked... ;)

OK this is about to get very sciencie... sorry but it's the easiest way to show you why you need to let the bacteria grow and hence just why cycling is SO important :eek:
In your tank at any given time you will have

Ammonia NH3 Most toxic and
Ammonium (Ionised ammonia) NH4+ Still toxic but not as toxic as ammonia
Along with Nitrite and Nitrate which we will get to shortly.

A word on the relationship of pH & ammonia toxicity, feel free to skip this bit ;)
Ammonia, NH3, the main waste product produced by your axolotls, is very toxic in its unionised form (NH3 as opposed to NH4+).
A low pH means a higher concentration of H+ ions in the water, which in turn results in a higher degree of ionisation of NH3 to NH4+.
Conversely, a high pH means a lower concentration of H+ ions in the water and less ionisation, meaning unionised ammonia, toxic NH3, is the main form of ammonia.

What this means in English is that the higher the pH, the more toxic the ammonia simply because there is a lower level of ionisation to NH4+ so the higher the levels of NH3

Ammonia can kill, and at a pH of 8 or more, it kills even more effectively.

Water temperature can also affect its toxicity, a higher temperature resulting in a higher toxicity.

Why cycling is vital
!!!
Ammonia (NH3) is the precursor to most of the nasties that you will need to deal with.
Axolotls excrete Ammonia, there's no getting away from that.
Nitrite, NO2-, is produced FROM ammonia by the bacterium Nitrosomonas (in your filter, a GOOD bacteria). It is not as toxic as ammonia but IS still toxic. Nitrate, NO3-, is the least toxic of this family of nitrogenous compounds. It is produced from nitrite by the bacterium Nitrobacter (another good bacteria). Although it should be tested for, regular water changes and plants in the aquarium will keep the levels of nitrate (Plant food) in check. Although not toxic at low levels, if let build up through lack of water changes, it too can be dangerous, and high levels usually lead to blooms of algae.

So summing up, in your filter by the bacteria

Ammonia > Nitrite > Nitrate
Highly toxic > Toxic > Not so bad really ;)
Cycling is the process that allows both good bacterias to grow so the conversion above can happen completely.

The ultimate goal is to achieve an equilibrium where all this is happening so that all 3 nasties are being used at the same rate they are being produced. This is the advantage of a planted aquarium so the plants can remove the end product, Nitrate, as it is produced but regular water changes will also help keep it in check.

Hope that helps clear up what's going on and why it needs to happen.

MereB

Reaction score
Wanted to add Aquarium Gravel Siphon/vacuum (and a garden hose) for cleaning out the sand wihtout sucking it all out in the process, it will make cleaning & water changes easier. Your hose will need to be long enough to make it from your tank to wherever you will be disposing of the old water ;) and echo the test kit :happy:

JWERNER

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I plan on getting two axxies real soon.

As far as im concerned this is what I am going to buy.

twenty gallon tank
lid
aquaclear HOB filter
decorations
sand

Am I missing anything else? Also could anyone please elaborate on the cycling process? Also alot of times I see people running more than one filter in the tank?

Thanks guys!

All is good so far but I would as said add a test kit, thermometer, and a siphon. I find that with sand its easier to just use a hose without a churn. Just let it hover over the sand and you can get it in more spots like between decor and what not. You'll get the hang of it and eventually you wont be sucking up any sand.

Axies really dont leave the water but I would not get a HOB filter and as a personal preference I would never buy a Aquaclear.

First, it provides space for the animal to either get out or in the filter it self. And second, they are cheap! I busted one to many by simply moving a tank to close to the wall.Once I dropped one and it busted into shards, not cool IMO. Clear plastic is one of the most stupidest things they could make a HOB out of if you ask me. Clear plastic can be very brittle.

Just get a air driven sponge or make one.You could also use box filters and internal filters that are of low flow. High flow means high intake which may lead to a Axi getting stuck.

tianh

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

I went out and bought a Marineland aquairum kit today. My last question is how do I make sure the water is 16C for the axxies

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1