A week in. So far so good?

MichaelWB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. Sorry for the essay!

I got my Axie, Adeline about a week ago now. I thought I'd just post a few things I've noticed about her just to see if it's all going well. I just want to know if everything I've seen is standard Axie behaviour.

First things first. The tank is still cycling. Not ideal, but that's how it worked out I'm doing 20% water changes every day (first thing I do when I wake up! Axolotl takes priority before anything else in the day) She used to hide in her hide when I took the water out, but now she just sits there. I think if I do it slowly without taking too much water at once she's fine.

She's eating fine. I've been feeding her earthworms every day. I know a lot of people feed their axies every other day, but I assume she's still growing. She's only 6 1/2 inches long, so fairly young I suppose. She was in a tank with two other axies at the pet shop, and she was the smallest, so there was probably competition for food. Eating is always a good sign?

When I first got her she didn't really move much. But now she's really active. Every time I look in she's laying somewhere different or just sitting in a silly position. Is the increase in activity just because of the fact she's settled in her tank or does something else increase their activity. The tank is about 20 most of the time, which would account for the activity I suppose?

And that's all I can really think of. Just reporting a few of her quirks and what she does. It's also really nice to give an update to the people who helped me get ready for her. She's bought me lots of laughs and smiles and I'm really pleased she's with me. I've probably answered most of my questions myself, but I just wanted to make sure everything sounded normal!

Anything in particular I should watch out for?

Thanks,
Michael.

Hey Michael

Everything sounds spot on at the moment!:D
I would continue to feed her daily as shes only little still.

Babies are a lot more active than adults (so i hear) My adults are always mooching around the tank, getting in each others way, disrupting the sand and begging for food with those adorable faces!!

Do you have a water test kit to check on the cycle?

Mel

That's basically the post I made this thread for.

She's good at begging. Every time I walk past the tank she gets up on her hind legs or dances in front of the tank. I don't think she's hungry, I've been feeding her a worm every day. I don't think she's hungry though!

And as for a water testing kit. Yup, I've gone one. One with test tubes and colour charts as well, so it's all good. I haven't been that great at testing the water recently, but I have been changing the water. I'll do a test tomorrow just to see how the cycle is going!

Aww yeah they do that. i have a wild that is on the verge of fat because she is aaalways begging at the front and I feel mean feeding the others without feeding her too. Looks like a diet for florence!

The water changes will be keeping everything good, hopefully. I bet you cant wait til its fully cycled!

How big is your tank? I dont think it'll be long before the axolotl bug gets you and you'll be wanting more! :D I only ever wanted one. I now have 5 definite keepers and another possible one too!

Is yours a white albino? Where did you get her from. Just curious as I have some in a pet shop in Sheffield. I'm waiting for the people who buy them to register on here.

Mel

To answer a few of your questions.

10 Gallons. It's not much at the moment and I couldn't imagine her in anything much smaller but I plan on getting a bigger tank in a month or two's time anyway. Just need to wait for my *ahem* student loan to come through. Not what I'm supposed to spend it on, but hey, I'm sure I can convince the parents to go easy on the rent while I move the axolotl into a bigger home. They absolutely love her so that won't be an issue at all. So my finances and house situation aside, the short answer is 10 gallon tank.

And yeah, she's a white albino. And I got her in a Garden Centre with a Tropical Pets and Aquatics department just up the road from the famous theme park Chessington World of Adventures. Certainly not Sheffield!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back