Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hmmm... are my babies normal? :(

blashnet

Reaction score
Right 28 days ago my 6 babies hatched!!!
i only have 6 but only one of them has just started getting fingers.
They all have stumps but no fingers.

Are they okay? :(

They are all seperate so none can bite them. thanks

callina

Reaction score
can you please post some photos?
What´s the size of your babies?

When the legs begin to grow, it looks like thin threads and then starts the hand developing.

Do you know who the parents are?
It can be a genetic defect - but must not.

Tina

blashnet

Reaction score
can you please post some photos?
What´s the size of your babies?

When the legs begin to grow, it looks like thin threads and then starts the hand developing.

Do you know who the parents are?
It can be a genetic defect - but must not.

Tina

Oh yes i can see!!!
They are ok, the threads arnt too clear on this photo but..
here you go

can you guess what colour he will be? :)

Attachments

• 60573_435406634630_818714630_4922448_3760123_n.jpg
    60573_435406634630_818714630_4922448_3760123_n.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 217

callina

Reaction score
HI,

it´s a pretty leucistic.:D
But I can´t see the legs and he´s still so tiny. How often and what do you feed him?

Tina

Danni

Reaction score
What size are they (length)? That one still looks similar to my just-hatched ones.

callina

Reaction score
I feed him brine shrimp, everyday

Hi Blashnet,

I hope you mean baby brine shrimp, newly hatched ones.
When he is nearly 4 weeks old, then he is much too small. Are his siblings the same size?
I think you should feed a little more BBS and maybe twice a day.

What´s about the parents? Which color, age, size are they?

Tina

blashnet

Reaction score
Hi Blashnet,

I hope you mean baby brine shrimp, newly hatched ones.
When he is nearly 4 weeks old, then he is much too small. Are his siblings the same size?
I think you should feed a little more BBS and maybe twice a day.

What´s about the parents? Which color, age, size are they?

Tina
yes i hatch the bbs.
and yeah all 6 are the same.
I will do more serving of them and shall i start to try blood worms?
the parents were gold and black, i purchased the eggs online

callina

Reaction score
no, bloodworms aren´t the right food for axies at this size. You can feed them BBS or small daphnia and after feeding their bellies should be rounded.;)

What is your water temperature?
Why did you separate all the babies? It´s much easier when all are together. You don´t need so much food to feed them.

Tina

blashnet

Reaction score
no, bloodworms aren´t the right food for axies at this size. You can feed them BBS or small daphnia and after feeding their bellies should be rounded.;)

What is your water temperature?
Why did you separate all the babies? It´s much easier when all are together. You don´t need so much food to feed them.

Tina
i seperated them because they were nipping! haha
my water temperature is about 18degrees celcius
they are so cute! i am just very scared, its not clear on the pic but he does have legs and fingers (tiny though)

Last edited:

callina

Reaction score
ok, but at this size they cannot hurt each other. You can leave them together - it would be much easier for you.:D
18 degrees is ok, but take care that the temp doesn´t go down/colder - better is 20 degrees. The colder the water, the more less they will eat.

Take a look at this thread: http://www.caudata.org/forum/236937-post22.html. At post 22 there are pics from my newly hatched larvae and you can see how much food they will need.

The little larvae don´t search for food, you can say, they are waiting until the food swims into their mouths. (I donßt know how to explain it in English, but I hope you understand what I mean;))

Tina

Norcinu

Reaction score
Before axolotls can grow fingers, they first have to grow the arm :) So they start off with stumps and eventually they'll get fingers. I think your babies are fine!

esoteric

Reaction score
Hi Blashnet, I firmly believe the 2 most important things when raising larvae are:

1. Localised feeding of freshly hatched brine shrimp.
2. 100% water changes daily before feeding.

The larvae need a concentration of bbs delivered locally. This can be best achieved in a small container. After my babies have finished eating they have big red bellys, but they still mooch out some the remaining bbs over the next few hours.

24 hours later they need a 100% change of water (another advantage to using small containers). Uneaten brine shrimp are like a magnet to bacteria and should not be left in the water for more than a day. I actually advise using a clean container each day - washing the dirty ones in a dilute bicarbonate of soda solution before rinsing and stacking for the next day.

This is my normal regimen and I find it very effective.

Regarding size, they're like kids, they grow at varying rates. The larvae from my leucistic mothers tend to develop slowly, despite receiving the very same treatment as the larvae from my golden albino mother. Having said that, there is usually at least one from a tub of 5 that out-grows his siblings quite quickly.

1.5cm at 4 weeks is not unusual, especially if they're from an axolotl's first spawning. I would now have them in pairs of equal size if I was you, in small containers. This gives them less competition for the food available and the next 4 weeks should show a considerable size increase. I would also be thinking of buying in some frozen bloodworm at around 5 or 6 weeks. You can tease them with individual bloodworm in a plastic pipette for a few days until they get the idea. (they don't need many at first, but they soon get a taste). I only give bloodworm as a supplement till they are about 8 weeks, then, when they start hunting down bloodworm for themselves you can put away the bbs hatchery.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1