Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: My slow Paddletail newt

Gelboy

Reaction score
I just got my new paddletail newt, the 1st day i had her (4 days ago) she was swiming around looking at her new home and trying to capture the 3 little guppies i had in with her. Her tanks stays at about 73 degrees and has live plants and fish and two caves to hide in and a walk up dock to the surface. The entire cage is water besides a little platform at the end of the walk up dock. On her 2nd day i noticed that she was much less active and stayed in her cave but she did go out hunting and found some dead crickets around the cage. On the 3rd day i noticed a real change, she barly moved from the highest spot, ontop of the plants, she was constently going up for air and didnt even take notice to the fish. She just hung out as close as she could to the surface as she can and went up for air every few min. At this point in time she has the same slow sluggish behavoir, i think its because of the lack of Oxygen (airation system) and fliter (which are being shipped here and should be here by wensday) I would hope when they get here she goes back to her normal way,

but are there other things im doing wrong?

Do you think thats the problem and when they get here she will go back to normal?!

Thanks everyone im worried and want her back to the way she was the 1st day

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Have you read the Caudata Culture caresheet for this species? It will help you out quite a bit.

Your Pachytriton needs cooler temps and aeration as soon as possible! The water is far too warm. They need cold, fast moving water with lots of aeration. Also, Tue foods you are providing are not suitable for this species. They are bottom feeders. Foods like live blackworms, chopped earthworms and the usual frozen foods are best.

You also need to test your water chemistry and let us know what size tank you are using. Pachytriton are sensitive to poor water chemistry.

Remove the fish for now. Most Pachytriton do not eat them and they are depleting oxygen and adding waste. In addition, I believe the fish cause stress due to the territorial nature of this species although that is conjecture on my part.

No need for the island, Pachytriton only leave the water if something is bothering them.

Gelboy

Reaction score
Thanks guys, so i got the fliter and everything and put it in, there is a really stron current now, really strong! and alot more oxygen in the water, she seems really happy now! and is barly going up for air compared to how othen as she used to do, Thanks again guys!

Morm

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, is a filter acting like a waterfall (hitting the water after about 3 inches of fall space) enough for aeration? I seem to have some very active newts with this, but I've only had the new(t) set up for about 24 hours. Also I have about half the tank covered in live floating plants, which should help remove CO2 and some nitrates.

Gelboy

Reaction score
well no i use one that acts kindof like a current but it has an aeration option, it like blasts a current filled with bubbles is the best way to explain it, so the water is for the most part in constent motion and full FULL of air bubbles. its the Penguin 660 submersible power head and it cost about 17 $. cheap for how impressive it is,

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1