Axie's with suckerfish?

Khreas

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can axies be paired with suckerfish? Just wondering because I'm pretty suckerfish can be cold water etc.

And I'm thinking the suckerfish I'm thinking of is the Plecostomus. Not completely sure tho, new to axies and such. Just picked up a 55gal tank and want to start cycling but don't want to fill with anything I'll have to rehome.

Thanks for your help!

No, plecos are not good tankmates as they have spines and armor that could damage the axies if they were to attempt to take a bite.

Give this a read:

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Mixing_disasters.shtml

26. Axolotl + Pleco
"Plecos & axolotl"
05 June, 2005 - 06:17:
I put an algae eater in the tank with my Axolotls. For a while everything was fine; however, last night I discovered small spots where the algae eater had 'sucked' on my Axolotls' tail! The skin is off and I am very worried.
http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/8/37244.html?1118030284

hi
the best tank mate is another axie. The plec will attach themselves to the axie and attach itself causing all sorts of problems, the axie could even eat it which will make it very sick. Please dont mix the two.
lea

sorry eric....i was typing when you replied....i havent seen you around lately...

Yea sorry was just going off some other reading that said they only attached to other animals when starving. The plecos I mean.

Said if they were attaching they were very very hungry. Tho it specifically stated getting attached to goldfish. And yes I've read that the best tankmate is another axie, but I was thinking about cleanliness of the tank and just thought an algae eater would be brilliant.

Oh well :(

Shiz nailed it with his post.

Truth be told, the best tankmate for an axolotl is none at all. While other axies are fine, there is always the risk of injuries and even fatalities from other axolotls. I mention this merely to make you aware. I keep seven axolotls in a 85 gallon cattle trough personaly! One must be extra vigilant on checking on them, careful with feedings and be prepared to separate and quarantine injured specimens should the need arise.

As for adding fish and the like for cleanliness, aside from the reasons in Shizeric's post, fish poop too and just add more bioload to you tank cycle. Better T9 do it the right way with weekly cleanings and water changes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back