Terrestrial newt set up; which soil?

dipsydoodle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m going to try and set up a “terrestrial” section of my tank for my chinese fire bellied newts; 2 are fully aquatic and the 3rd one is terrestrial. I think he was an adult when I got him and I’ve had him a year next week, so I want to make him more comfortable.

He’s been in an aquatic set up since I got him (with a turtle dock). He doesn’t like going on the end of the turtle dock that dips into the water so I have a shallow water dish for him on the dock which he loves; trouble is since it’s so shallow I have to fill it millions of times a day (any deeper and they unbalance the dock or he doesn’t climb into them).

I’m either going to separate the tank or try and make a “box” thing; a bit like a deep turtle dock with stands so that the other two don’t loose swimming space; and so Tiny (the terrestrial newt) can have his terrestrial area with deeper water dish.

The set up of the tank has changed over the year, I had a plastic plant right next to his dock to encourage him to swim; he didn’t like it; so I’ve now replaced it and put a real plant in so it will eventually grow over the surface for him to cling to. He can swim; he’ll happily walk around the bottom of the tank if I slowly move him there but then he clings to me.

After all that my questions are;

What would be the best type of soil to use for the terrestrial set-up area?

Would Orchid moss be ok for the top of the soil or would something else be better?

How would I clean it?

You could use a mix of top soil and coco fiber.

I use that orchid moss in all my terrestrial set ups so long as they dont do lots of burrowing like Mole Salamanders. It lowers PH but is not a concern if the animal is not foosorial. If your aquatic section is sealed off well from the terrestrial one you could use it. Make sure its sealed off and no run off from the terrestrial side makes its way around or under the divider. This will lower the PH big time in your aquatic section.

Just normal outdoor top soil?

I haven't decided if I'm making a divider or trying to make something that stands on legs out of the water to not loose any swimming space. I'll be trying posibilities tonight.

I've a stupid question with the moss; does it root into the soil or does it just effectively sit on the surface of the soil?

Excellent thank you. I'll have a read of it later on today (The site is blocked at work unfortunately).

That one isn't blocked. I'll have a read of that one now and compare both articles when I can get on it :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back