Omg omg omg

MereB

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Meredyth
Sorry, first time axie mommy just so excited, I had to share. No-one round here seems to share my enthusiasm :rolleyes:

He's sprouted legs in the last 3 days and grown almost 4mm :eek: bringing him to just shy of 21mm

Fish 20 days post hatching

Attachments

• Fish's Leg.jpg
    Fish's Leg.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 212
  • DSCF6965.JPG
    DSCF6965.JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 163
Congratulations! I've just recently rescued a very young juvie so I know how you feel!

I am glad you shared that with us. I was ridiculously excited when I discovered front legs on my larvae. Then agonised until they had their rear. The joys of raising axolotl knows no bounds.

thats so cool....

Thank you guys :happy: ooh I can't wait for the hind ones to start coming in. I can't believe how fast the grew. I swear they weren't there the last time I looked at him 3 days ago... Hubby has been feeding him... He wanders in last night "did you know Fish has legs now?" WHAT as I jump up off the couch and sprint to his tank.
Talk about a growth spurt :happy:

Thanks again he just wasn't excited abut it at all, felt like I was going to burst if I didn't share with someone :happy:

we are always excited to hear about major milestones, its like a baby taking his/her first steps. Keep the photos coming...

Definitely show us more photos when he develops his rear legs!

This makes me think back to my itsy bitsy cuties! They grow so insanely fast! Please keep the pics coming! :D

You managed to not look at him for THREE WHOLE DAYS?

She just must have incredible willpower ;).

It's lovely watching them grow from wee-bitty-beautiful little things to the gorgeous and magnificent adults they will become. I hope you'll spoil us to lots of photos of Fish.

:eek: No will power, 3 small boys and an extraordinarily busy week :( so I let hubby do the feeding, clearly he's not as excited about all this as I am :rolleyes: I did glance at him in his feeding tub but due to the time of day (feeding, bathing and getting the boys into bed) I didn't have time to study him :( You can bet I will be checking him a few times a day now.

Don't worry there will be HEAPS of photos as he grows.

hmmm I should probably stop calling it a He, force of habit in a house of boys I guess :rolleyes:

His leg is a little clearer in todays pic you can see his shiny little elbow
mereb-albums-fish-picture12261-fish-21-days.jpg

While I'm here...
This is Daddy (Dillon), mummy refuses to smile for the camera :ha: I should probably have cleaned the glass before the pic more evidence of small boys :rolleyes:

Attachments

• DSCF6972.jpg
    DSCF6972.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
That little guy is starting to look a lot like my leucistic. Is the mother golden or leucistic?
He's so cute.

sek said:
That little guy is starting to look a lot like my leucistic. Is the mother golden or leucistic?
He's so cute.
She is golden and albino (white/pink eyes).
She looks like this one (I don't have a clear pic of her, she won't come out long enough and if she is out you can bet the camera isn't anywhere near her) :rolleyes:
04_golden_female.jpg

I didn't think Lucistic's could have the shiny gene, iridophores I think their called or am I confusing a melanoid trait? His eyes have a very definite shiny ring and he has some small shiny patches as well which now he's bigger I can actually see, :rolleyes: and I do so love his little tiny spots :happy:

I thought I saw the smallest of little bumps starting where his hind legs should be so I'm hoping they are bigger tonight and I can actually get a clear photo of them for you all to see.
Ooooh and he has toes on his front feet now :D super tiny and white but they are there. LOL he seems to quite enjoy his new found skill of using a toe or two to hold the side of his net/feed dish and just sit suspended in mid water :rofl: so cute watching him start to behave like a real axolotl. Still doing the ambush thing, not hunting his shrimp yet but he's not quite a month old yet either.

Last edited:
congrats great piccies :) also know the perils of kids and fingers prints all over the tanks :) keep piccies coming x

So exciting. And yes you are right about the iridophores, I just meant the colouring besides the shiny. I love golden albinos. Can't wait to see how he turns out!

So exciting. And yes you are right about the iridophores, I just meant the colouring besides the shiny. I love golden albinos. Can't wait to see how he turns out!
Ah huh ok then, now I get you :happy: I can't wait either.

OK we have pics. I can't see the bumps anymore so maybe I was seeing things :rolleyes:
I took him outside in the sun this afternoon much to his disgust but it was better light which means clearer pics ;)

OK here he is @ 24 and a bit days
Toes
mereb-albums-fish-picture12286-we-have-toes-25-days.jpg

His gold coloring seems to have a pattern to it down his back and an odd little black line across his back just below his head.
mereb-albums-fish-picture12287-gold-patterning-25-days.jpg

mereb-albums-fish-picture12288-25-days.jpg

His left leg has spots on it but so far not on his right.... Oh and gotta love the 3rd "nostril" in the middle of his face almost in line with his eyes :rolleyes:
mereb-albums-fish-picture12290-left-arm-spotty-right-not-so-much-3-nostrils-lol-25-days.jpg

Aww the legs on the first picture look so brand new and shiny. Like they were polished minutes ago.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back