He/she arrived + a few questions :)

lisordactyl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Lisa
Hi there!

I posted a thread the other day asking how big your axies were. Well, my baby has just arrived :D

Here are some pictures. Sorry about the bad quality (I used my camera phone)

blifford.jpg

clifford.jpg

cliff-1.jpg

I've only had it in the tank for a few hours, but already I'm panicking. I feel like a new Mum! I think I've read to much on here so now I'm worrying about every little thing, haha!

Question 1: I dangled an small earthworm in the tank, but it didn't go for it. I waited for a while, but it showed no interest. Is this normal?

Question 2: It likes to be 'high'. It likes to perch/float in the plants, like in the first photo I posted. I think the threads I've read about axolotl floating has made me worry about it doing anything other than walking! Is it just exploring, having fun and is this what they do?

Question 3: I know you feed young axolotl once a day, but how much do you feed them?

I've just ordered myself an API Fresh Water Master Kit so I can check the parameters more precisely to put my mind at ease if anything is 'wrong'.

Thanks in advance!

Hi

I think Juvenile's like to be more, uh, "playful" than adults. Leuka (my juvie) likes to swim around every now and again and things, so I think "Question 2" is OK :)

Also, I feed him 2-3 trout pellets or worms, but really it depends on the size (of Axie and food) to be honest, you will find out how much to feed her eventually. (Question 3)

Not sure about Question 1, Leuka is always hungry at the moment, sorry I can't help here...

Hope this helps,
Danni

Thanks so much for your fast response! :happy:

The floating/perching concerned me after reading the posts, but he/she doesn't look uncomfortable (quite relaxed, in fact) and he/she doesn't seem to any problem swimming (like, favouring one side due to gas) or a problem staying on the sand when he/she wants to, so I assume (or at least hope) she's just having a bit of fun!

Ooo, this is so exciting. I just caught it yawning !

Thanks so much for your fast response! :happy:

The floating/perching concerned me after reading the posts, but he/she doesn't look uncomfortable (quite relaxed, in fact) and he/she doesn't seem to any problem swimming (like, favouring one side due to gas) or a problem staying on the sand when he/she wants to, so I assume (or at least hope) she's just having a bit of fun!

Ooo, this is so exciting. I just caught it yawning !

No, floating is a lot different than perching. If it were floating, the Axolotl would look absolutely helpless. You'd know in an instant that there's a problem. My Axolotl likes to hang out on tall plants and ornaments sometimes. They just do that. Especially if you have fish in the tank like I do. They'll hang out up there, watching the fish swim by and then...

But anyway, they're just playfully exploring. Nothing to be concerned about. I was the same way when I first got mine. Try to relax. These things are a lot more resilient than you'd think.

As for feeding, they're not Gremlins. It really doesn't matter when or how much you feed them. I believe the rule is that the body should be as wide as the head, but take that how you will. They're hungry little things, and they eat like dogs, but if you keep trying to feed them, they will refuse food at some point. I'd just feed them until they don't want to eat any more, and then monitor their weight. If they're getting too large, cut back. Your Axolotls certainly aren't overweight, so start bulking them up.

Oh, and as for worms, yes, that's normal. Especially if they're those big fat red wrigglers. It's an acquired taste for them. They didn't start eating those until they absolutely had to (refused to feed them anything else). Now they wont eat them anymore, because I've been putting fish in the tank for them to eat instead. Spoiled, they are.

I think maybe I'm watching it too much and when it's still for a while I'm like "why don't you want to swim around?!".

Thanks for the info regarding feeding. Making sure their dimensions are good is a bit better than giving them a set amount to eat per-day, 'cause of individual differences 'n' all that. So, I potentially have another fussy eater on my hands :lol:

Thanks so much for the advice again. I'm definitely in the right place is anything does concern me; this website/forum has been absolutely great with information so far :)

I think maybe I'm watching it too much and when it's still for a while I'm like "why don't you want to swim around?!".

Thanks for the info regarding feeding. Making sure their dimensions are good is a bit better than giving them a set amount to eat per-day, 'cause of individual differences 'n' all that. So, I potentially have another fussy eater on my hands :lol:

Thanks so much for the advice again. I'm definitely in the right place is anything does concern me; this website/forum has been absolutely great with information so far :)

They have their moments, but in general, don't swim around a lot unless startled. They're not fish, afterall. They grow out of the whole swimming thing.

I know someone is probably going to chime in and scold me for doing something that could harm the Axolotls, but if you do want them to do something, wiggle your finger in front of the Axolotls (unless you have nails).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back