Chinese fire belly newt can't stay underwater

bt1212

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi my chinese fb cant stay underwater. Every time he is in the water he just floats at the top. he tried to swim down once and just floated up. I tried searching for the problem but can't find anything wrong with my tank. Thanks for your help.

By the way i know he is aquatic because he only recently started acting like this before he use to hangout at the bottom of the tank.

Is he also swollen? If not, it hasn't to be wrong: He could have gasped to much air.

He isn't swollen, but he doesn't go into the water any longer. In addition he won't eat the live blood worms i used to give him and is getting very thin. Its been about a week or so now...

How long have you had him?

What is his tank set up like? Is there a piece of land for him to rest on?

Tank size, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, temperature?

Also can you get a photo of him?

I had him about a month and a half. Its a six gallon with ferns, a marimo ball, and swords. The temp is 68 F and im pretty sure the rest of the parameters are fine because i have a baby guppy in there with him and the fish is doing fine. He's been living in the tank since i got him and was able to recover a lot from his pet store condition. He also has land to climb out of the water, but doesn't use it much until recently.

I've read a lot about bloat and he doesn't seem to show any signs of it. He's actually becoming pretty skinny because he no longer eats. The live bloodworms that he used to.

I would check the parameters as well: Newts often crawl out of the water if there's something wrong in it. Comparising with with fish isn't reliable cause they can't get out, and guppies are strong fish and can handle bad parameters for a long time.

It also could be an endo parasite.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back