FYI: Found a little bit of info on limb re-growth rate if anyones intrested

ted22

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Ed
Hello, If anyone has an axie who has lost a leg and is wondering how long it might take to grow back I found this little bit of info!

"The average bone growth rates for the tibia and fibula were 0.019 ± 0.001 mm/day and 0.019 ± 0.001 mm/day, respectively."

so im guessing each leg would have a tibia and fibula so thats around 0.040mm a day!

I found this just from a little extract on a random site about 3d ultra-sound
Elsevier

Just thought some of you may be intrested as any other sites usually only say "it'll grow back in a few months" but at least here you have some kind of average daily growth measurement!

Thank you Ed!

This is exactly what I needed for my little Gallifrey.

This is interesting.

But dont forget there will be other factors involved. Such as the age of the axie. Regrowth seems to slow as they get older.
Saying that, I have a young axolotl who has stumps for legs. And they are definitely not growing back at the rate above.

Mel

This is interesting.

But dont forget there will be other factors involved. Such as the age of the axie. Regrowth seems to slow as they get older.
Saying that, I have a young axolotl who has stumps for legs. And they are definitely not growing back at the rate above.

Mel

Yeah of course there will be other factors, temp, diet, age etc but im guessing that this rate of growth is in lab conditions (possibly cramped and not cared for like our beautys!). But to be honest its not particulary fast growth as 0.04mm a day is only 1.2mm a month (30days), Im fully aware that all this can vary but it might be a good average to go on, as far as i can find this is the only info with any kind of measurements to go on! To be honest I expected quicker regrowth as i figured out that with this reported growth rate it would take well over a year (16months) to grow a 2cm size leg back!

I'll see what other crazy info I can find, i just hate reading about experiments that these mad scientists do on our beloved creatures, but im sure its all for the greater good, one day we will be able to grow a new leg just like our axies! (yes we will grow strange slimey axie legs haha!)

laters

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back