Planted Tank Newt

carsona246

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Carson
I'm not sure if a species exists that would work for my tank but I have a planted ten gallon aquarium and would love a newt. My dwarf puffer died a long time ago, and I'm looking for something to inhabit my tank. I've been looking at paddle tail newts, and firebelly newts, but I can't seem to find a newt that will fit in a ten gallon tank, enjoy 80 degree temperatures, and be fully aquatic. Does a species exist?

How high into the 80's? C.e. popei is a species that will tolerate temps into the 80's, though temps in the low to mid 70's is more ideal. Is there a reason you can't get lower temps?

It's basically right on 80. I could try to find a new heater that's a little smaller, and probably go down to 75. I'd have to do a little research to make sure it wouldn't hurt my plants. The reason it's at 80 now is for my tropical plants, and I couldn't find a newt that wouldn't be stressed at over 65. I'll have to do some research on the C.c popei. Thanks for the advice

Cynops ensicauda popei can thrive at slightly higher than normal temperatures for newts. Sustained temperatures of 75F should eventually be offset by a few months at 65C or lower. You can read more from the Cynops ensicauda caresheet.

With temperatures around 80F constantly, I would recommend looking for a tropical animal. If you'd like to keep newts in your planted tank it might be time to look into temperate water species to go with your temperate newts.

That may be what I have to do. I know my dad had a newt at one point when I was a kid, and I really enjoyed watching it, so i was hoping I could find one that would be fine. So far Cynops ensicauda popei seems to be the closest i've found that would be acceptable for my tank. I could definatly lower the temp to 75 if it was necessary, but 65 would kill all my plants, so I might have to pass on newts as an option.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back