Illness/Sickness: Red spots!

ljzweimiller

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all,

My axolotl, Lucy, has recently developed some red spots all over her body (the picture attached isn't the greatest, but you can see the spots). They do not appear to be raised. She's in a 10 gallon tank with rocks in the bottom, driftwood, and a pipe for her to chill in. There is also a spray bar on the filter. She used to have plants, but she tore them up, and they died. I am still cycling the tank. Ammonia is between 0 and 0.25 (because it is still cycling), and the pH is about 7.8. Nitrites are high at about 3 ppm, and nitrates are minimal (can't remember exact number). I am using test strips for pH, nitrites, nitrates ect., and a test tube kit for ammonia. Temperature is 19-20 C.

There have been no changes in behavior or appetite. What are these spots, and should I be worried? If the nitrite level is a problem, what can I do to fix it? Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• 100_1051.jpg
    100_1051.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 1,778
Hi, for the time being all I can suggest is that you get a complete freshwater testing kit ( test-tube/colour-chart type) so that the readings are more reliable.
This can only help.

Also, a bigger tank would not only help the axie but help keep the water relatively more stable.

Hope this helps :happy:

Hi,

ammonia and nitrite are high toxic and your axie can become ill. The red dots could be a sign for toxication - your readings are too high.
I would suggest to put your axie in the fridge for his recovery while your tank is cycling.

As Ken wrote, the stripes aren´t good, they can be incorrect - better is a drop test kit.

Tina

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back