Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Oceanic Aquarium Chiller

sek

Reaction score
I found a review for you.

"Oceanic makes high quality aquarium chillers that by many are considered among the most silent of all chillers. They are not the cheapest brand out there but they often have a long lifespan and have very accurate thermostats that make Oceanic aquarium chillers a good choice when it is important to keep the aquarium temperature very stable. It is possible to connect a heater to Oceanic water chillers turning them into complete climate controls for your aquarium. On the negative side, Oceanic chillers tend to have a sort of plastic look and they are best hidden away in a (well ventilated) cabinet or similar as the LCD displays generate a lot of light. Oceanic is a well-established brand within the hobby the natural choice for many when they want to buy an aquarium chiller, but not a given choice as other individuals prefer other aquarium chiller brands"

I've heard really good things about these chillers. No one has mentioned any noise problems.

dazkeirle

Reaction score
while nobody has mentioned any problems its a good idea to set your expectancy.

All chillers make some degree of noise, it's just where it is and how much you're willing to accept.

I toured many aquacentres looking at them however due to the fact they need to be near your aquarium to be effective and can't be enclosed then you need to know that if you have one in your bedroom / lounge, the sound could just drive you potty.

sek

Reaction score
I'd have to agree with Daz on that one. I myself don't like having a room completely quiet and I have 3 tanks in my bedroom at the moment with filters & air pumps. Just make sure it doesn't vibrate against something.

But as Daz said, something like a cooler will always generate some kind of noise even if it's small.

dazkeirle

Reaction score
I find my filter is tolerable permanently.

My air pumps i can deal with during the day but never at night.

I couldn't deal with a chiller when in the room, just like i can't really deal with fans.

Anything over 30 Db is too much for me.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1