Question: I'm afraid my little axie has air in her stomach...

Vicious Puffer

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Heleen
Of late, little Nettle has been floating a lot. I noticed this last night and began to worry. She can dive down, but as soon as she stops swimming in any direction, she floats up to the top of the water. I think I also caught her spitting out air bubbles...
I know air bubbles in the stomach are a common problem in axolotls.... if this is the case, what can I do? She's a juvenile, (about 3").....

Also, I'm having a little trouble with water quality.... I've been doing frequent water changes, and cleaning out any decaying organic matter left behind, and I have two filter units for a total of 30 gallons of filtration in about 10 gallons of water, yet I keep finding this whitish film swirling about the surface of the water....

I was reading another thread about a similar problem, albeit more severe (in the case of BethanyKate) and thought I'd provide a little more information that other members have been asking her:

-The water temperature is about 68-70* F (I live in a warm state, so I keep a small fan perched on the edge to help evaporate and cooled)
-The tank is a glass 20 gallon long tank
-It is partitioned in 3 parts, a substantial section for my white albino, an equal section for my leucistic, and a smaller third section for a 25 galllon filter (it's partitioned off so that the current won't bother the other two
-There is a low-flow whisper filter in the section with the white albino, that he doesn't seem bothered with (it's the leucistic that's been floating)
-I feed them bloodworms daily, about 5 or 6 each
-I do water changes about 3 times a week - but more frequently lately. Almost daily. About 20 - 30%
-They have various hiding places in their tank
-I use a fine sand substrate
-I test their water fairly requently (with strips)
-I just added a small amount of aquarium salt to their water

Young axies like to float, they tend to do it alot, my young ones are still floating about abit at 4"

It sounds like nothing to worry about, they swallow air, seemingly for buoyancy, and spit the air out tactically (seemingly to control buoyancy)

the only problem would be if it was a very frequent trip up to the surface for air.
sounds like you may have far too much filtration power.
you don't need that frequent of water changes, 20% once a week seems to be a good amount.
- why aquarium salt?

your temp isn't too high.

it's most likely you are observing their normal behaviour.

Yes, it seems I might have worried a bit over nothing. These are my first axolotls, so I get a little nervous here and there. She's stopped floating and spends more time on the bottom now. I added some aquarium salt because something that looked vaguely fungal seemed to be growing on the walls of the tank, and I wanted to clear it up.

As for the water changes being so frequent, our ammonia levels have been reading a little high, and and we've been trying to keep them down.

if you suspect fungus you may want to isolate your axolotl and do a 100% water change.
If you suspect it on your axie you may want to try salt baths, but posting pictures on here will help you identify what you're seeing x) remember to keep an eye on PH levels.

Good look with your axie x) worrying too much is better than not worrying at all ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back