Not another one...

DeCypher

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Austin
I talked to alot of you about my emaciated newt and her problems, and I am so grateful for all your help. But another newt is slowly becoming emaciated, too. They both have the issue of never going in water. This one is noticably becoming skinnier and less interested in food as well. What is going around?! Am I just a bad owner or are the conditions not right?

That is my previous thread. I have not tested the water, but it should be ideal for them. Our water comes from a natural spring. The temp is maintained at about 7o degrees, and is dropping as we are entering the autumn months.

You could do with the temperature lower than that, especially if they are not well. I understand that can be difficult, I have the same problem keeping mine cool.
Even if the water comes from a good source, once it has been in the aquarium for 24 hours, it could be in a very different state, so you should still give it a test.
Do you have a pic of the setup?

Sorry, I do not have access to photos. I will give as much detail as I can. On one side I have a rock cave that takes up about 1/4 of the 10-gal tank. It is simply a pile of shale rocks stacked uniquely. It has lots of little hidey-spots and rest areas. The largest rock is breaking the surface (it is fairly large). I have lots of floating plastic plants, like water letuce and duckweed which they like to rest on. I had to get rid of the gravel and the other plants, just because they were losing their food (live blackworms) under there. I also have a little sponge filter. Nowadays it is pretty basic, sadly. I certainly would love an attractive vivarium for them, but they lose food quickly.

Do you feed them solely on blackworm? have you tried them with other foods?
I still have concerns of the water quality in your tank. If the tank is as you describe and they are not efts, I dont see why they would be reluctant to enter the water, unless it is due to the water quality.

Do you feed them solely on blackworm? have you tried them with other foods?
I still have concerns of the water quality in your tank. If the tank is as you describe and they are not efts, I dont see why they would be reluctant to enter the water, unless it is due to the water quality.

This is my concern also. If you don't have test strips call some shops and find one that will test your water.

Whats the origin of these Newts? How did you obtain them?

If they are wild caught they may also already be ill, sorry I remember you posting, but can't remember what exactly was posted.

so i'm going to ask, even if |I have before.

did you get the water from the spring tested? [I mean ever not as of recently]
sounds like your water quality is bad.

I just saw in another one of your posts that these are wild caught.

It could be a number of things at this point that are causing these issues and more than likely the stress of now being captive and poked at ( no offense ) is not helping in any way shape or form no how!
I honestly feel this could all go back to stress and the lack of proper acclimation to captivity.

I also think you should get your water tested. Take it to a shop and most places charge a small fee or do it free.

In your defence I have 3 newts, 2 are fully aquatic and the other just will NOT go in the water; he likes the water but he doesn't like the depth as he likes shallow water.

You could try having shallow water to see if makes a difference; I think in this case it's either the water or something to do with the fact they are wild caught.

I do not entirely feed them on blackworms. I use earthworms (which are not eaten much), along with every commercial food available. I'm trying to get frozen bloodworms, too. The city has tested our water before, and it is very healthy, but it does have a slightly higher concentration of iron. Is this bad? Also, one of you mentioned they might not have fully acclimated to the environment, How can I get them to?

Also, one of you mentioned they might not have fully acclimated to the environment, How can I get them to?

Stop changing the environment around and just put them on a shelf and let them be. Check on them periodically and feed them but let them be and definitely don't try to force feed them unless you really really know you must. You might have to now at this point but it could have been avoided.

Also, just cause its safe to drink does not mean its safe for a newt to swim in. It could have chlorine, fluoride, and other stuff in it that's OK for us. How frequently have you changed the water? You have to find a medium cause to often can lead to stress if not done right and to less can cause spikes in nitrates and nitrites and eventually ammonia.

Do Notos slow down on eating as the seasons get cooler,... anyone?

The water does not have flouride, chlorine, chloramine or anything like that. I change the water quite often. And I do switch the environment slightly every month, by adding new stuff for the tank.

I would strongly suggest that you test your water .

For example, last night I tested a bottle of 'Caledonian' spring water (made by Sainsbury).
It had a higher reading for Nitrates than the 'week-old' water in my newt tank, which was a surprise. (over 3 readings)

So until you know the exact readings of your water on almost a daily basis, you'll be 'in the dark'........

Hope this helps :happy:

I will get it tested. Thanks, everyone!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back