Need to block the flow of water asap!

tianh

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a Penguin Biowheel 100 filter. Great little filter but the current is much to powerful I believe for when I receive my new axie.

I heard people say to aim the water output to the glass instead but my filter doesnt allow you to do that. It has no adjustable water flow as well.

Others have said to use filter wool or something to block the water but im not quite sure how to do that..

Here's the filter that I am using.

http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/PetsUnited/T710516_56376

Try putting some gauze, or tights (pantyhose) over the outlet? Never tried this myself, but I've seen it suggested, try fixing it with a length of fishing line (tightly tied as you don't want your axie to get it) :)

Hope this helps!

Make your own spray bar with a piece of tubing that can attatch to your filter outlet and stick it across the front/back of your tank. I had the same water issue, and I solved it with my DIY spray bar. Drill small holes along the tubing and plug the end of it as well. Works like a charm.

Thanks Derek! That seems a bit much though. I will be trying this when I can get my hands on a soda bottle.

. / Canadian Fish Forums

Cool!!! That looks like it'll do the trick!!! Funny how most things for aquariums you can make yourself.....I made my own siphon with a dishwasher hose,16 oz coke bottle and put a valve on the bottom to control the water flow...

Make your own spray bar with a piece of tubing that can attatch to your filter outlet and stick it across the front/back of your tank. I had the same water issue, and I solved it with my DIY spray bar. Drill small holes along the tubing and plug the end of it as well. Works like a charm.

Can you post some pictures?

I've adapted a spray-bar (essentially a black pipe with regular holes) to disguise it and to diffuse the out-flow a bit.

I took the spray-bar out and fastened it with a clamp.
I took some plastic plants that came free with a second-hand tank and chopped them (!) up a bit with scissors.
I smeared a line of black silicone (aquatic friendly) along the lenght of the (dry) spray-bar, then let it sit in some plastic leaf-bits for a while.
After shaking off the excess and leaving it a week to air-dry, its been great to use in my tank.
With a bit of floating Elodea, etc, you'd not notice it at all.

Hope this helps :happy:

Ken, that sounds really cool. I had to have mine in the front because my tubing bent the wrong way!

And yes I will post some pictures as soon as possible.

Hey try some of the exo terra silk plants with the little suction cup to stick to the glass, I use them to diffuse the flow but it also hides the filter entierly which is nice!

Hey try some of the exo terra silk plants with the little suction cup to stick to the glass, I use them to diffuse the flow but it also hides the filter entierly which is nice!

That actually sounds like a great idea!!

Would you happen to have a link of the one you are using?

41%2B--txKc8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

exo terra silk plant - Google Product Search

They come in a variety of sizes and plant types so depends how big your tank is the large ones are about 2ft long maybe bigger the small ones are about 30cm long, theres loadsa different types I personally have 4 large ruscus ones but only use a small ruscus one infront of the filter, I have them all along the back and sides to create a canopy/second floor to my tank, they are ideal for diffusing water flow and hiding ugly filters tho! (also provides good shade from light and my axie loves climbing through it all!)

(edit:) Ooops realised your from the U.S those google shopping results are from the u.k but just type in Exo terra silk plant and you should get all the same results but prices in $! They are made by Hagen and all safe for aquariums incase your wondering! Also the small ones by themself in a large tank look abit silly unless you have a load bunched up together so might just wanna go for the medium or large ones (depending on size of your tank!)!

Take it easy!

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back