Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: 3 or 4 for a 50 Gallon setup?

Grete

Reaction score
So I've currently got 2 axies in a 50 gallon long, running an Eheim 2211 and am suppose to be acquiring 2 more by the end of next month. I'm wondering if that would be too many axies in one tank, or even just pushing it and I should go on a hunt for another tank? Not sure if it matters, but I will be building a 2nd level in the tank to give them more floor-space.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
A fifty long can easily support 5 adults but less is always better in my way of thinking. The rule I suggest is ten gallons of actual water per adult so by the time you figure in hides, plants, substrate and the like (which you should do) I would say four axolotls max. I feel there is no need to add a second deck. In my experience they will ignore it most of the time.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1