Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

HELP New to this

simonarmy

Reaction score
Hia all iv been reading about these forums for a few months now and have descided to take the plunge and get myself a axie :D

Im getting a 96 liter (uk) tonight that comes with a 18/20W light (is this to much?) and a Juwel compact filter system. Also comes with a heater but that will be coming straight out as i no dont need it.

What else do i need to get it started ad get the cycling under way and what can i do/use to speed it up and if there is anyone in the suffolk (uk) area that is willing to sell me some bits from there tank to get mine kick started please HELP

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Try asking a pet store if they will let you have some substrate from an established tank...that can usually help. Just keep up with water changes and monitor all of your levels. Live plants can also assist in the proper establishment of a cycle. And most importantly....BE PATIENT!

simonarmy

Reaction score
i have a lava fern in my tank . iv got somew blood worm do i add tht to the tank to help with the cycle ? if so how much

Shizeric

Reaction score
If you already have an Axolotl in there, that's your ammonia source...adding bloodworm would only foul the water more quickly...what do you feed with?

and do you mean java fern?

simonarmy

Reaction score
no i dont have it in there yet . and what do u mean feed with ?

and yes i ment java fern :D

Shizeric

Reaction score
Sorry, I thought you had an Axolotl in there...I'd avoid adding any ammonia sources...just let it go by itself...especially if this is your first time..it's really easy to mess up and a pain to restart if things go wrong.

simonarmy

Reaction score
ok i read some where tht had to add something for the bactia to fed on unless in mistaken. When do i need to check my levels ?

Shizeric

Reaction score
Like I said....if you can get some filter media or substrate from a LFS...that will put you way ahead in this process...if you can do that..the process will go much faster..but you will need to test often to make sure the cycle is establishing

simonarmy

Reaction score
i dont think i will be able to get hold of that as iv never heard of any of the local pet shops having these :(

how often is often and when do i have to do the 10-20% water change ? and its treated water i replace isnt it ?

sorry asking so many prob dumb questions just wanna get it right

Shizeric

Reaction score
Substrate is the gravel or whatever they keep on the bottom of the tank..and filter media is the part of their filter that encourages biological filtration...they will have both at ANY pet store.

Derek

Reaction score
Put some crushed up fish flake for the bacteria to feed on (not too much), don't use fish as I'm having a few problems....

simonarmy

Reaction score
is that from any fresh water tank ? i got my java fern on a rock out of a fresh water tank which had there fish in

is tht any sort of fish flake ?

Whats the problem with fish ?

simonarmy

Reaction score
ok thanks the plant/rock iv got is straight out of a tank and placed in a bag and in to my tank so tht should help a little then .il add a tiny bit of fish food now

any other hints and tips would be gladly welcome

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1